Pitching PGF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2023
If a pitcher keeps their toe up, can they step back to set up where they want to be with the back foot and then put the toe down to be set?
Could an Ump even see if the toe is up?

My DD is very used to stepping on the pitcher plate and then adjusting her back foot under USSSA, so trying to to figure the best way for her to make the adjustment. She’s not stepping back and pitching, just setting up. Can you move the back foot side to side? How tight does this get called?

“The stride (non-pivot) foot may be on or behind the plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she may not step, drag or slide it back any farther.”

Aug 5, 2022
PGF is start back as is college. Start back is also legal in usssa. Once the pitcher sets her toe and her hands come together on the rubber the pitch has begun it can no longer move is my understanding. She can rock back on it etc but can’t move it. I would not recommend trying to bring the hands together and start the pitch with her back foot off the ground…this would seem incredibly awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
PGF still requires BOTH feet to be in contact with the pitcher's plate. They use NFHS with exceptions, and this is one of them.

Both feet must be in contact with pitching rubber prior to forward stride.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
PGF still requires BOTH feet to be in contact with the pitcher's plate. They use NFHS with exceptions, and this is one of them.

Both feet must be in contact with pitching rubber prior to forward stride.
PGF in Florida is absolutely Start Back. But then so is NFHS in Florida as well.

May 18, 2019
You might me wrong on that, Blue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
PITCHING RULE CHANGE:

Pitcher's stride foot positioning

The stride (non-pivot) foot may be on or behind the plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she may not step, drag or slide it back any farther.

This will be following the NCAA rules for pitchers this season.

I have attached the actual rules as stated by the NCAA

Aug 5, 2022
PGF changed when the ncaa changed it to stay in alignment with the ncaa. Really no point in learning to pitch in a way that you can’t continue. All the sanctions really need to align

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015

Scroll down to the end where the rule change is mentioned.

OK ... in my defense ... first, I will admit that I missed it. Then I will ask, "What the @#$! kind of way is that to maintain your rules?! "

We follow this code, except we don't ... but years later, yes, we do! Gotcha! (What? Update one line of text on a static web page? What do you think this is, 1998?)

We don't have PGF around here. I was looking it up because I knew they stayed mostly in line with NFHS ... then I saw that. Good grief!

🤣 😋🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
OK ... in my defense ... first, I will admit that I missed it. Then I will ask, "What the @#$! kind of way is that to maintain your rules?! "

We follow this code, except we don't ... but years later, yes, we do! Gotcha! (What? Update one line of text on a static web page? What do you think this is, 1998?)

We don't have PGF around here. I was looking it up because I knew they stayed mostly in line with NFHS ... then I saw that. Good grief!

🤣 😋🤷‍♂️
Who says you can't win an argument with an umpire?? LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles