Pitchers and cutoffs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
My oldest DD plays both MS and TB. On plays from the outfield to home or third the MS coach has the pitcher backup both third and home, with either 1st or third as the cutoff to the plate, as I am familar with (baseball background) TB coaches (last couple) want the pitcher to act as the cutoff on all plays to the plate (energy conserved for pitching?) . I saw both while watching the CWS. What is the prevailing thoughts on each.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We have pitcher also back home/3rd. Our cut is always 1st. There is no confussion who is cut then. Hit to Lf 1st is over to that side of pitcher if throw home needs cut.

R

RayR

our pitchers cut 4...not to conserve energy but just because it's quicker and there is no confusion if the 1B should cover bag and align for cut off....same with 3b....we want our corners covering a bag in most cases....

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Hit to outfield not caught. If its not real close in right field, why have 1b cover bag? Don't think I am saying what we do is right. I am just always interested in what others do and why.

R

RayR

How do you determine (or ask a player) what is close or not in that quick of a time window? I guess if you are playing your OF deep, but at 16U and HS we don't....And if the play does go to 1B...we train to come off the bag and look 4 or where ever is needed based on the runners....otherwise the OF is throwing straight to 4 where the P is the cut....

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Do you have 1st back home on a throw from lf?

Hope you don't think I am debating you, just interested.

R

RayR

no worries...yes we do....and cf....I guess we just try and take some of the uncertainty out of the game for the players....instead of having players running all over the field we try to be efficient with our positioning....the trade off is a bad throw that gets away....we feel that this is a good trade off for us as we practice relays often so we don't have too many problems with bad throws...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
no worries...yes we do....and cf....I guess we just try and take some of the uncertainty out of the game for the players....instead of having players running all over the field we try to be efficient with our positioning....the trade off is a bad throw that gets away....we feel that this is a good trade off for us as we practice relays often so we don't have too many problems with bad throws...

You obviously have pitchers that throw well overhand. Not all do! FWIW - I like the 1B as cut and P backing up, but age and abilities need to be taken into consideration.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd