Pitch selection and to the type of hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2010
Okay what does every throw and to whom?
1st batter. 1st pitch strike / fastballs in and out
Slap hitter and a good pesky one - drop balls inside so they trip over their feet and outside fast balls.
#4 hitter and a bomber. Change up out of the gate maybe two in a row drop balls and fast ball on the hands to end it.....
A good bunter and fast- High fastballs for a pop up to pitcher and maybe a drop ball

1st inning goals - 1St pitch strikes and move it around / be careful of #3 4 5 hitters.
Definitely watch there warm up swings and coach your catcher to watch for plate crowders and those giving up the outside part of the plate....

Interested in knowing everyones thoughts....

My dd has good fast balls to spots, a great great drop and a solid change....
After 1st inning.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Okay what does every throw and to whom?
1st batter. 1st pitch strike / fastballs in and out
Slap hitter and a good pesky one - drop balls inside so they trip over their feet and outside fast balls.
#4 hitter and a bomber. Change up out of the gate maybe two in a row drop balls and fast ball on the hands to end it.....
A good bunter and fast- High fastballs for a pop up to pitcher and maybe a drop ball

1st inning goals - 1St pitch strikes and move it around / be careful of #3 4 5 hitters.
Definitely watch there warm up swings and coach your catcher to watch for plate crowders and those giving up the outside part of the plate....

Interested in knowing everyones thoughts....

My dd has good fast balls to spots, a great great drop and a solid change....
After 1st inning.

If your dd has a great drop, I would use the fastball out of the zone as a set up pitch and let the drop and the change up be most of the pitches she throws

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Drops are nice for bunters; when my dd throws a drop to a bunter the ball spins foul off of the bat. It will take several pitches to get the batter, though, as opposed to a rise or high fastball where you might get an out with one pitch. After watching his first two batters foul off bunt attempts and then get struck out the coach may stop trying to bunt, which is nice for your corner infielders.
If it is clear that a batter can't hit (mechanics are awful in warm up swings, out on front foot or scared to death) go ahead and burn in 3 fastballs. My dd has said that it is less tiring to throw fastballs, so mixing in a bunch here and there will give her a rest.
Drops are pretty strikeout pitches - the batter almost always go for them- just make sure your catcher is on her horse and ready to throw to first if the ball is in the dirt.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ultimately, there is no formula that works against good hitters. There might be particular pitches that work consistently at the lower levels. At the higher levels of play, the hitters adapt quickly. Pitch away, they move up to the plate. Pitch inside, they start trying to get HBP.

She has to learn the umpire's strike zone quickly. Then, your DD has to throw all of her pitches consistently on the edge of the strike zone. Then, she has to change speeds with all of her pitches.

Oct 3, 2009
Ultimately, there is no formula that works against good hitters. There might be particular pitches that work consistently at the lower levels. At the higher levels of play, the hitters adapt quickly. Pitch away, they move up to the plate. Pitch inside, they start trying to get HBP.

She has to learn the umpire's strike zone quickly. Then, your DD has to throw all of her pitches consistently on the edge of the strike zone. Then, she has to change speeds with all of her pitches.

Agreed, and the other thing my DD learned playing up at 16u this past year is you have to do what you described with real breaking pitches. My DD throws a rise, drop, and change. And if you flatten those pitches against good hitters even if you hit an edge of the zone it can get hammered. And you are right...variety is the key not some formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd