Penn State

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You entrust your child to someone and their organization has apparently failed miserably. At least it seems to be getting the attention it deserves.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Every parents worst nightmare (or close to it) when sending a kid away to a camp.

And what appears to be a cover up at nearly every level of this by Penn St. is alsmost as bad (but not quite) as bad as what Sandusky is accused of. It seems that many people dropped the ball on this whole thing and it looks like heads will roll.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I hate having the talk with DD everytime she joins a new team or goes to camp. The whole good touch/ bad touch, "I'm gonna tell!"

I am disappointed in Paterno for not following up with the administration and for allowing Sandusky to continue to use the facilities. How many football camps did Penn State host while this guy was prowling the locker room.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Why on earth the accused would have even allowed himself to be alone, with a child, is beyond me. The same thing can be said about Herman Caine. My husband was the deputy governor of IL. I know for certain he would have never interviewed a female or taken her to lunch, by himself. This was his standard procedure for 30 years.

People thought that I hovered around my children. I didn't even let them go into the dentist alone, as teenagers. And they spent very few nights at friend's houses. I had a good friend once, that told a mutual friend that she still bathed with her 12 YO daughter. Huh?

I am doubly concerned now, about my 22 month old granddaughter, that has to grow up in this crazy world.

My doctor this morning had never heard of Joe Paterno, until this scandal. So, these accusations are what he will be known for, by some.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Why on earth the accused would have even allowed himself to be alone, with a child, is beyond me.
If by accused mean Joe Sandusky, the grand jury report has Victim #1 though Victim #8 in it, and Victim #9 has come forth since the arrest. It is not like there was one isolated incident. It is just the incident in the shower that was witnessed in 2002 by then grad student McQueary who reported it to his father that night and Joe Paterno the next day that is getting the most focus. If the accusations in the grandy jury report turn out to be true, it would appear he is a serial pedophile who not only "allowed" himself to be alone, he was actively trying to being alone with them.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This may be the tip of the iceburg. There would be computers to be seized, I would think, both personal and college owned.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
This may be the tip of the iceburg. There would be computers to be seized, I would think, both personal and college owned.

I agree that this is the tip of the iceberg. It is so sad on so many fronts. I think the biggest tragedy behind the actual sexual involvement is that the cops did nothing. We keep hearing about how Penn State did nothing, but if I'm not mistaken, ESPN keeps showing an illustration where this was investigated in 98 by the police but no charges were filed. The guy was allowed to retire the next year. How can this happen. A complete failure by everyone involved and all should be held accountable.
ESPN keeps showing an intrview with Sandusky back in 99 talking about how much he enjoys the youth camps. Absolutely makes me sick.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am still struggling understanding what happened, it seems like a few people made bad decisions. It would have not even affected their football program.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Reporter on the radio said allegations were known around College Station as far back as '98.

FYI, College Station is in Texas....Penn State is in State College, PA.

I am a Penn Stater and I am extremely disappointed in how McQuery, Paterno and the rest handled this situation. I mean how do you walk in on a boy being raped in the shower and just walk away??? The after Paterno learned of that how did he not go to the police??? Very sad and very disappointing.

However, the way this is all being reported is disappointing. Why is it that the headlines are about Paterno and the child molester Sandusky. All I have heard during this whole thing is Paterno, Paterno, Paterno, and had to dig around to find out that Sandusky was actually arrested on Saturday. Seems backwards to me.

However, Paterno HAS to be fired after this. Very sad. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd