Odd Stragety for a team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
We played in a friendly this weekend and I saw the oddest stragety made by a coach. We get up to bat and I notice the Center fielder is behind 2nd base (litterally on the dirt). I figure ok my leadoff is a tiny lefty he is playing slap defense. Than my number 2 batter gets up center field is still there (ok, maybe he assumes I am bunting my lead of over .. which we successfully did). My 3 hole hitter gets up she is still there, cracks a fly ball to center (with a tyoically fielder it should have been a flyout but with their defense was a triple. Player still in the dirt for My clean up hitter cracks a line drive to left center to follow up with a triple of her own.

Next inning he pinches his left & right fielder in leaving a wide gap down the lines. My 3 hole hitter who was playing 3rd base asks the 3rd base coach during the game why his center fielder is playing there, responds its a stragety we use. She tells him it's not working this game I beat her over her head twice already. His response is yea I know but my big hitter is coming up first hopefully she can do some damage.

Neddless to say his center fielder played in that position the entire game, we beat her over her head 7 times (3 of them by my 3 hole hitter). Any one understand this stragety??

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sounds like in the past they have played teams with weak hitters and he is trying to prevent 'bloop' singles, but this is a terrible strategy against a team with big bats!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Positioning of outfielders was awful in MS team.

I wish the MS coach used the strategy, CF just in the grass past 2nd base, one game.

You need to adjust to based the Players on the field, , the Team you are playing, game situation etc.

I don’t know why this is such a hard concept but apparently it is.

Of course as soon as you move them the ball is hit right to were they were and you look like an idiot. :)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My 3 hole hitter who was playing 3rd base asks the 3rd base coach during the game why his center fielder is playing there, responds its a stragety we use. She tells him it's not working this game I beat her over her head twice already.

A player is telling an opposing coaching during a game that his strategy isn't working? That seems odds too.

Jul 26, 2010
He's probably playing reactionary defense to the last game he played rather then paying attention to the game he's actually playing.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think it's a wonderful strategy!!! I think every one of you guys need to start using this new and ingenious idea. Especially those playing 18u or HS in the southeast area. :rolleyes:

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I was talking to the coaches of the other 2 teams they played and they both said center field was in the same position for both of thier earlier games against them as well (and were getting beat by them over the head a few times too). The only benefit it had one coach told me was when his player would have had a clear single up the middle but she was able to field and throw out the girl at 1st because of how close she was to the infield

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
He's probably playing reactionary defense to the last game he played rather then paying attention to the game he's actually playing.

Nothing to add here. Reactionary defense is like trying to bail the atlantic ocean with a teaspoon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish