Not playing and transferring schools

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2023
My DD went to a D1 University. Tried out as a walk on did not make the team. Club team never materialized. So she was very disappointed now she has just informed me that she wants to transfer and play softball at a D3 school.
Not sure what she needs to do next. Does she enter into a transfer portal ? because she did not play does that mean she is not eligible to tryout for another college?

May 27, 2013
I’m not certain but I wouldn’t believe she needs to enter the portal because she never was on the team at her current school (I would verify that with the athletics dept at her current school). What she needs to do is reach out immediately to the coaches at the schools she’s interested in transferring to. She also might consider playing on a travel team this summer so these coaches can see her play - or at least you can get video of her playing. She also needs to ask them if they will be having camps and if so, is she allowed to attend.

Many D3 programs will have their recruits in place already for next season so unless your dd fills a need for a team, it might not be easy to make the team depending on the school. She needs to get in touch with the coaches now. Did she used to play for a strong travel team program? Can those coaches help her with talking to coaches, as well?

Jun 20, 2015
definitely needs to contact prospective D3 coaches, as they recruit heavily and may have full rosters and zero opportunities to even try out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC