No softball in 2028 Olympics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Meanwhile, I expect there are a lot of folks from LOTS of parts of the world that are excited about the possibility of cricket finally being included in the Olympic Games. However, the venue and large team challenges of baseball/softball may also be a limiter for cricket.
I would watch this. I hope we get a broadcast team that explains it to an uninitiated audience.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Yes I am familiar with handball. It's just something that doesn't necessarily exhibit a lot of viewers as far as television... that I have noticed anyway.
Cornhole does on prime channels and times.

* I don't scan all the ESPN channels maybe it's hiding in there.
Probably can find it on the Ocho…

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I would watch this. I hope we get a broadcast team that explains it to an uninitiated audience.

Agreed. Jomboy Media has been pushing out a lot of content around cricket. It's actually gotten me to pay some attention to it. Never thought it was a dumb sport...I've just never taken the time to learn the rules which keeps me from watching it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This thread should have been titled “The Elitist and Intolerant Attitude of US Sports Fans: A Case Study”
Because a fastpitch softball message board is the last place anyone would expect to hear folks wanting softball in the olympics.
Yeah because that is exactly what I was referring to…
...and why i brought attention to cornhole being on prime time tv. 😎
...oh yeah...in the U.S. 🥳

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My disappointment is more focused around my DD wanting to see more Olympic softball. She's 13yo and wants to play during college. Then, when she realized there is an opportunity (albeit a incredibly small one) to play for USA in the Olympics....college ball became the avenue to get there. Whether she believes she can achieve it or not....I really have no idea.

Luckily, we do still have the WCWS and I'll do more diligence finding USA playing in other tournaments. There's just something to be said about seeing your team (USA) play on the Olympic stage and compete for Gold. Money and politics aside....it at least meant something to my kid.

Aug 21, 2008
Got it.

But it’s really the dedicated facilities that are the problem, moreso than the number of players per sport.

22 for Soccer? No problem.
26 water polo players? Sure.
52 swimmers? You got it.
28 for basketball
26 for cycling
24 fencers
20 gymnasts
37 rowers
26 rugby players
30 for shooting
24 for volleyball
125 for track and field

- all no problem

Dedicated stadium each for 20 softball players and 24 baseball players? No way.
One glaring difference in your post is, many of the sports you listed can be used by men and women at the same place. They don't need 2 pools for male and female waterpolo, for example. And I guess LA could've used the same field for softball/baseball as Japan did this year. Although that's an ugly look, but maybe they wouldn't care. I don't know.

Oct 14, 2019
Aren’t there hundreds of softball facilities in southern CA, especially considering that womens’ professional fields have the same basic dimensions as youth softball fields?

Jun 8, 2016
Aren’t there hundreds of softball facilities in southern CA, especially considering that womens’ professional fields have the same basic dimensions as youth softball fields?
Sure..if you want a seating capacity of 100..

Jun 8, 2016
I am fine with them not having it. I don’t think my kid really likes softball anyway and I have never been much into the Olympics.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One glaring difference in your post is, many of the sports you listed can be used by men and women at the same place. They don't need 2 pools for male and female waterpolo, for example. And I guess LA could've used the same field for softball/baseball as Japan did this year. Although that's an ugly look, but maybe they wouldn't care. I don't know.

Part of the challenge with baseball facilities is that the Olympics overlaps with the regular season for pro baseball, so MLB and MiLB will be in use. Available existing facilities would be limited to college venues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug