newbie Dad needs advice on 9 yr. old pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Both my daughters pitch & take lessons. Right now they are 9 & 13.

We do drills & strength training in our basement but I leave most of the teaching to the instructor. As they move along with their development I show my DD's some video on the internet so they can see & visualize what they are supposed to do. We've also watched other, more developed pitchers, take lessons...this way my DD's see that others are being taught and enforced the same things they are learning. It kind of validates what they are learning.

I don't push them to a level they don't want to go to, or are ready for. But I let them know they are only going to be as good as the time they put in and I'll be there to help as best I can. I do a lot of talking and encouraging, focusing on what they are doing right and good, along with what they need to work on.

I wear shin guards with knee savers & a face mask. I also bought a catchers mitt. It all helps me do my job pain free and I think it might help her too; when she is looking at me she is seeing and is targeted on something similar to what she will see in the game. (idk...Maybe I think too much)

I don't sit on a bucket as I feel I'm set up higher than I should be for their age and size. Plus, when I sit on a bucket I have absolutely no way to react to awry pitch...I feel like I'm a sitting duck and deserve anything I get. I also sometimes think sitting on a bucket will give an impression that I'm bored, lazy and don't really want to be there; and I don't want my DD's to think that.

I always use two balls with the second ball in my bare hand ready to throw back after she pitches the other ball.

The biggest injury or health complaint would be my throwing shoulder. Yeah my legs get tired, but I switch my set-up around to deal with tiring legs. But the throwing shoulder...yeah, that gets tired and sore after a while. But I never complain to my DD's about it as I don't want them to hold back or stop short because of me.

The one-on-one time is great though! All that time, talks and joking around we do is priceless. I'll help them get as far as their ability and desires will take them. I'm never dissapointed and wouldn't change a thing.

My advice...Minimally get the shin guards with knee savers and a mask; It doesn't have to be top of the line stuff but it must fit right. Keep it light and fun (for both of you) and just enjoy yourself.

Good Luck and hopefully you'll avoid the PT ward (lol).

T J

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd