New rule proposal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Guys remember this thread was kinda tongue and cheek because of my frustration playing a team with 5 slappers. But the difference between soft slap and bunting is questionable. How about a right trying that? Something to think about.

May 27, 2013
Guys remember this thread was kinda tongue and cheek because of my frustration playing a team with 5 slappers. But the difference between soft slap and bunting is questionable. How about a right trying that? Something to think about.
A soft slap is very similar to a check swing. The batter’s hands are staying put on the handle as if it were still a full swing. A bunt is obvious when they are moving their hands. The outcome might be somewhat similar but definitely different ways of making contact with the ball.

Jun 22, 2008
You can bunt with hands in any position on the bat. A drag bunt is exactly what it says, dragging the bat through the zone to tap the ball. If the batter isn't actually swinging at the ball and is just pulling the bat along with them as they move through the batters box, that is a bunt.

Conversely, a chop swing to contact is not a bunt.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yes they did and I am still pissed!:mad::D We lost 6 to 7 to a well coached team.
One of the challenges is staying focus when they foul off 6 or 7 pitches in a row. By the time the 4th slapper puts it in play the defenders have lost some edge.
If it was easy they would call it baseball. JK
The ability to focus throughout all situations is the difference between fielders who can make great plays and great fielders.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Gotta be fair rule. When the batter has two strikes she is allowed 3 foul balls. After 3 foul balls any batted ball must be hit in fair territory. Any ball hit in foul territory will be considered as strike three.
Who's with me? Played a team with 5 slappers. Some of their ABs were 13 plus pitches. Puts you and your fielders to sleep. Game lasted forever. It's for the better good of the game. Lol
Im sure this will rustle some feathers but how about instead of making this rule, we just say no slapping?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
BUNT is a batted ball not swung at, but intentionally met with the bat and tapped slowly within the infield.
swing is an attempt at a pitch, that is not a bunt

I think this is the problem, the definition is circular.

First few times I saw this not knowing anything I thought most of the time slappers do this it was a bunt. I wish they would clarify with something like, a bunt is an attempt to tap the ball, swing is attempt to strike the ball. Or full swings with 2 strikes.
I definitely think slappers at times at least meet the reason the bunt 3rd strike foul was made an out in the first place.

Jun 22, 2008
Im not sure what is circular about the definition of a bunt. A bunt is a deliberate attempt to tap the ball softly within the infield, if its not a bunt attempt then it is a swing.

The bunted 3rd strike rule was around a LONG LONG time before there was ever a slapper in softball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45