Looking for another set of eyes - 16u Swing Analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks for the feedback all, now, I have been reading this forum for far too long, and I swear the first time I have heard "hinge" is this week (after being out of the loop for a few months) I understand it, just find it funny that I don't recall seeing the term before ;) will work on some things this week at the lesson and have a local this weekend.

the ‘hinge‘, and ‘dump‘, ‘drag’, ‘Level hands’ etc are all downstream from the original problem of the sequence issue stated before. Folks used to say it was DBSF, if I’m not mistaken.

if you can get her to load the hips, core then hands she will be much shorter to the ball with pop.. it should clean up quite a bit. What you would like to see is when the middle moves the barrel is making moves as well. They should be synced.

you also might want to try just adjusting the stance to a 50/50 or 60/40 and see if that cleans up the sequence automatically. Means you won’t have to change anything else. Worth a shot.

Mar 13, 2017
the ‘hinge‘, and ‘dump‘, ‘drag’, ‘Level hands’ etc are all downstream from the original problem of the sequence issue stated before. Folks used to say it was DBSF, if I’m not mistaken.

if you can get her to load the hips, core then hands she will be much shorter to the ball with pop.. it should clean up quite a bit. What you would like to see is when the middle moves the barrel is making moves as well. They should be synced.

you also might want to try just adjusting the stance to a 50/50 or 60/40 and see if that cleans up the sequence automatically. Means you won’t have to change anything else. Worth a shot.

So what I’m seeing, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is she’s all back and then all forward. Instead of the hands elbow whatever you want to point to still working back into their load as you get into toe touch she loads it as she gets into her gather.

that’s the incorrect sequencing I’m seeing and what is causing the barrel drop and disconnect in her back hip.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So what I’m seeing, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is she’s all back and then all forward. Instead of the hands elbow whatever you want to point to still working back into their load as you get into toe touch she loads it as she gets into her gather.

that’s the incorrect sequencing I’m seeing and what is causing the barrel drop and disconnect in her back hip.

yes. Which causes all the other symptoms mentioned.

edit: looked at her swing a few more times. I think the rest of the swing is pretty good. Interested to see if the change in stance cleans it up. Should get rid of the negative move and start more neutral to ‘back’ with the same intent. It might change the way she loads for the good or the bad.

Last edited:
May 28, 2014

Can you explain the 50/50 60/40 ? I have an idea of what you mean, but I want to be sure -

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Can you explain the 50/50 60/40 ? I have an idea of what you mean, but I want to be sure -

just try and start in the middle or a tad back in stance. She starts like 40/60 or 30/70. Most likely why she gets stuck and loads the hands early.

the back knee is farther away from her back foot compared to her front knee and front foot at stance. Yes it’s subtle. But the feel is very heavy front side etc. She never feels balance at any point in time.

I’m kinda thinking that was the cause of the sudden decline in her production as you mentioned. Just trying to find the root problem.

so for me I would try to get rid of the Heavy frontside at set up. See where you’re at. Might be an easy fix.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
if you can get her to load the hips, core then hands she will be much shorter to the ball with pop
36c6d07f89d929571fd62b7eaff1761bd0469863.gifv

2998b5c440872453ddb7f018f985e612c9b3dd33.gifv

Bat draggers have a longgggg slow swing. As the pitchers get faster...and they will...;)
You can waste your time on all that 'fancy stuff' or you can learn to TTB. Learn to use those hands correctly.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
36c6d07f89d929571fd62b7eaff1761bd0469863.gifv

2998b5c440872453ddb7f018f985e612c9b3dd33.gifv

Bat draggers have a longgggg slow swing. As the pitchers get faster...and they will...;)
You can waste your time on all that 'fancy stuff' or you can learn to TTB. Learn to use those hands correctly.

haha. She TTB late. Every swing TTB. Sync it to an engine. Then you’re on to something. You gotta get better descriptions.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
She TTB late. Every swing TTB.
I see no TTB....but dragging the bat.
You don't have a clue (giggling like a school girl) until I post.
I gave JMHO OP can decide for him/herself.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06