International Tie-breaker, Nuances In Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
International Tie-breaker - Defensive Strategies

I want to start a discussion that may help some younger coaches about the "international tie-breaker". At the World Cup in Oklahoma City this past summer, the Aussie coach made what I considered a fatal error in coaching against Team Canada during their international tie-breaker. The same thing happened almost to a "T" at the European Championships in Ronchi de Legionari, Italy, when the Russian coach made the same error coaching against the eventual winners, The Netherlands in a 1-1 game. To that point, I felt the Cuban guy coaching Russia actually out-coached the perennial top dogs, The Netherlands.

I have a few questions for you consideration, and considering DEFENSE only!

1) How do you coach it as the Home and Visiting coach, or how should it be coached?
2) What are your strategies and why? Make the newer coaches understand with detailing your position on this.
3) One team has a distinct disadvantage, and which is it, and WHY?
4) Can you guess the mistake the coaches made, mentioned above? It wasn't a matter of strategy. They already committed to a strategy, but it got lost in the heat of battle!

Remember, this is about Defense only for now.

ALL QUESTIONS WERE ANSWERED ON PAGE 3, posts #26 and #28, with follow-ups on pages 3 to 4.
SnocatzDad and Greenmonsters figured them out with some brainy responses.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Trying to remember what KJ did but forgetting.

I usually see first two batters put a bunt down, so you advance the runner to third and then a squeeze play.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Am I allowed to copy the anwsers from your other posts? :)

Our Team has only been in 1 of these and people are still confused what happened. :)

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Am I allowed to copy the answers from your other posts? :)

Our Team has only been in 1 of these and people are still confused what happened. :)

Yes, you can copy anything I write. Lozza, I am not trying to get him in trouble. I just think his mind froze!
I am not sure if anyone will answer this or not, but if not, then I will answer it in a few days.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Our Team was in this situation once and we, coaches, where not prepared. We did not do our Job and lost the game.

Wow Quincy, one time! Both of you said one time. I think you both were lucky. I think we were in this situation every tournament with my 18U teams, and a few times a year in Division I ball. However, in college ball it wasn't used until the 10th inning instead of 8th. In ISF tournaments it happens pretty often. I think I saw 4 games in Oklahoma City that were tie-breakers, and a dozen in Italy for the Europeans (EFS). Stay tuned, this is going to get interesting I think.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Great thread Steve! Hmm... I honestly would have to say if I have the top-meat of my order up I'd probably take my chances straight up (assuming a non-dominant pitcher). I'll take 3 cracks at it with my best batters vs 2 if I can. My thinking is my runner can probably score on a base hit to the outfield. The infield is probably in anticipating bunt and should open up more holes to hit through (not to mention on their heels because "holy smokes she's not bunting!). Also, if I don't exhaust that out and do score the run, I'm better set up for a bigger inning. I do realize there are significantly more ways to score from 3B (passed balls, illegal pitch, error, sac fly, etc), but I weigh those odds versus my best hitters coming through.

From probably 5th batter and below I'd bunt first and roll the dice from there. I would point out I'd like to exhaust other options like if I could fake bunt and steal 3B. Since they're anticipating my bunt I may even slash if the corners are charging that hard. I'm also putting it in my runner's mind that ANY base hit I'm liable to wave them so they better be truckin it.

Last edited:

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Once on 3B, I'm asking the batter to get the ball out of the infield. I don't care if it's a fly ball or ground ball as I should have less than 2 outs and a fly ball should be a sac fly. Gonna catch some flak for this, but if the infield is normal or even slightly in and my runner has good speed, I'm gonna send her on an infield ground ball. Especially in the lower levels, that pressure causes bad throws and mishandled balls.

I'm hesitant to call the squeeze just because if it doesn't work I usually have 2 outs with nobody on. If I sent the runner on a grounder at least I have a runner on 1B (maybe 2B if she's attentive to the play at the plate).

Nov 29, 2009
I'm going to assume older girls who can play the game well.

If I'm on offense I'm putting the fastest or smartest runner I have available on the bag. I'm bunting down the 1st base line and moving the runner if they have a right handed 1st baseman. Down the 3rd base line if the 1st baseman is left handed. I don't care where I'm at in my lineup. Too many chances to score on a mistake when on 3rd. Now depending on the next hitter I'm making my decision on what I want her to do. If she's a great bunter I may try a bunt, push bunt or pull back slap. If she's a good contact hitter I may try to have her put a ball down on the right side of the infield with the runner going. A strong hitter I will most likely let her have a least one good swing at the ball and then make my next decision from there. A deeper flyball gives your runner a chance to score.

On Defense. I'm looking for the bunt from the 1st hitter. I have my infield in and being aggressive. If the hitter places a great bunt and we can't get the runner at 1st I'm walking the next hitter. I'm setting the middle infield medium with corners pinching. Now everything is going to the plate.

If we get the out at 1st I'm keeping the middle infield medium and the corners in. I'm making sure the fielders keep the runner at 3rd. The play goes depending on the runner's action on 3rd. Big emphasis on runner. The out at 1 is secondary.

The biggest question mark is the pitcher. If the pitcher has a great riseball then the hitters are getting a lot of them. It's a real tough pitch to get on top of to put on the ground with any authority.

Mar 13, 2010
Yes, you can copy anything I write. Lozza, I am not trying to get him in trouble. I just think his mind froze!
I am not sure if anyone will answer this or not, but if not, then I will answer it in a few days.

Didn't think that. It was his first tournament from memory. I just watched what he did with the W A team (I don't know him personally, went into the system after he left) and what he did was amazing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30