Interference on pop up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
You can. You’ll know it when you see it. I will always give benefit of doubt to the offended team. This is a rabbit warren of “what if” unfortunately. The rule says the interfering runner is out, everyone returns to the last base touched, if the interference prevented the catch, the batter runner is also out. Umpire’s judgement comes into play there. Always.

Jun 29, 2023
You can. You’ll know it when you see it. I will always give benefit of doubt to the offended team. This is a rabbit warren of “what if” unfortunately. The rule says the interfering runner is out, everyone returns to the last base touched, if the interference prevented the catch, the batter runner is also out. Umpire’s judgement comes into play there. Always.
Interesting, I don't know the rules of softball and don't say anything during games. But we had runners on 2nd and 3rd, ground ball to the SS. Runner from second runs over the SS. Interence was called. Girl on 2nd was out, girl on 3rd was called back and the hitter stayed at first. Should the hitter been called out too? It would have been a pretty routine play for SS.

Mar 1, 2013
Interesting, I don't know the rules of softball and don't say anything during games. But we had runners on 2nd and 3rd, ground ball to the SS. Runner from second runs over the SS. Interence was called. Girl on 2nd was out, girl on 3rd was called back and the hitter stayed at first. Should the hitter been called out too? It would have been a pretty routine play for SS.
Different animal. Here, the runner interfered with F6 fielding a batted ground ball not catching a routine fly ball. Runner out, put everyone back, place the batter runner on 1st and only advance runners that are forced (if any).

HOWEVER (and here is the rabbit hole and you'll know it when you see it) the rulesets also give the umpire an extra out on their judgement if it was an apparent attempt to prevent a double play then you get the batter runner as well. Example - runners on 1 and 2. Grounder to F4 (Second base) and the runner coming from 1st interferes with the fielder. Dead ball. Out. If the umpire judged that it was an attempt to prevent a double play, you can award the additional out.

In your play, it seems like it was ruled correctly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad