Interesting Interference Play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We just got back from OKC, during one of our games had an interesting play that I need some help how to handle it as a coach;

Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Batter hits a medium speed ground ball to F4. F4 charges in and fields the ball, the runner on 1st ran into F4. Of course the Field Ump calls Interference on the runner, but the thing is.....

To me, it appeared the runner intentionally ran into the fielder to keep out of the double play, she didn't attempt to even try and go around and she had time to do so as the ball was fielded before the runner got there, our F4 actually threw to 1B and got the B/R by 10 feet, but she was "safe at 1B" with the INT call. Obviously 1 play doesn't usually cost a game, but it contributed as the next hitter lined an RBI single.

What is the rule? Or what could I have done?

Mar 1, 2013
First, the runner is out on the interference and the ball is dead (you knew that).

It's judgement from there - if the umpire judged that this was done to break up a double play, the immediate trailing runner is also out.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
What eddie said...:)

There must be a judgment that the interference was intentional for the purpose of preventing a double play before a second out can be called.

That judgment gets kind of tricky on this play. Generally, the double play must be imminent and likely. On this one, you would have to assume that F4 will cleanly field the ball, make a successful throw to F6, then F6 will cleanly handle the ball, make a successful throw to F3, and F3 will handle that throw...all in less time than it takes for the batter-runner to reach first base.

That's a lot of assuming! If the runner from first was just running in a straight line at second base, I'm leaning toward one out here. If she did anything like alter her path to contact the fielder, going out of her way to interfere, the possiblity of getting a second out here goes way up.

Other things the umpire might take into consideration are if it was a sharply hit ball (more likely to turn two) versus a slow roller (less likely) or how close the batter-runner was to first base when the interference happened (less likelihood of turning two the closer to first she is).

There's no black and white answer whether or not you're getting two outs here. There's a lot to factor in and everybody's judgment will be a little bit different.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Thanks eddie and Bretman,

The ball hit was medium speed, not slow, but not a shot either. Our F4 fielded the ball a little toward 2B but not much, maybe two steps behind the basepaths. The runner was probably 4 steps away when F4 fielded the ball (she had the tag, then the throw to 1B for the DP). Typically, I see runners in this situation try to go around the fielder to avoid the tag... this runner kinda climbed on F4's back. Like I said F4 still was able to throw the ball to 1B and beat the B/R. Guess we should have called time and discussed it... lesson learned!!

Feb 29, 2012
Bretman,
What if a tag was an easier play to make rather than throwing the ball to 2nd which sounds more likely in this case. Then the likelihood of completing the double play is really high.
Its really tough for an umpire to determine intent especially in lower age brackets.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Rockjerry, yes that was the play as I stated... also this was 18A, so in my mind I know what the runner was thinking. Was a great baserunning heads up play and it cost us a DP to get out of the inning.

Mar 1, 2013
Really, it does come down to judgement of the umpire(s) on the field. If it's a tag/throw situation and it looked like a solid opportunity for two and the interference clearly broke that up, I'd be inclined to give the second out, but I'd have to see it. Sure, we umpires like outs, but I've never guessed one on someone.

Mar 2, 2013
What eddie said...:)

There must be a judgment that the interference was intentional for the purpose of preventing a double play before a second out can be called.

That judgment gets kind of tricky on this play. Generally, the double play must be imminent and likely. On this one, you would have to assume that F4 will cleanly field the ball, make a successful throw to F6, then F6 will cleanly handle the ball, make a successful throw to F3, and F3 will handle that throw...all in less time than it takes for the batter-runner to reach first base.

That's a lot of assuming! If the runner from first was just running in a straight line at second base, I'm leaning toward one out here. If she did anything like alter her path to contact the fielder, going out of her way to interfere, the possiblity of getting a second out here goes way up.

Other things the umpire might take into consideration are if it was a sharply hit ball (more likely to turn two) versus a slow roller (less likely) or how close the batter-runner was to first base when the interference happened (less likelihood of turning two the closer to first she is).

There's no black and white answer whether or not you're getting two outs here. There's a lot to factor in and everybody's judgment will be a little bit different.

Or F4 could have simply tagged R1 and flipped to F3 for an easy double play.

When in doubt, err on the side of penalizing the offending team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA