Interesting article: Senior week or State playoffs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Don't get your labia chapped.
I mentioned it was just a HS game and not PGF, then someone stated that oklahoma university is recruiting their state tournament and I replied that more of their lineup was from California, where there is no state HS tournament, than from oklahoma and that's where you stuck your nose in to it.
Hey big dog since you are an expert, how about letting us know who you are. Let us then see that resume.

May 6, 2015
Having won a couple of state titles, I can say that there is nothing like it. It is more than just a title. You are a member of a team that was the last standing. You have cemented your name in the record books. You have changed your community. The thing about state titles is that they just aren't that easy to get. There are so many outstanding teams that are out there who never make it. There are so many outstanding programs out there that never make it. It isn't just the competition that can take a team down. Sickness or key injuries often take teams down. One such team that I coached had a young man break his arm in a game that would have sent us to state and, in doing so, dropped a ball for the final out that would have sent us. The team that beat us won state. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about that. I had a once in a lifetime team coaching at the smallest school in the big school division and we were that close.

I feel terrible for the kids that stayed and played. There were senior quoted in that article that made a choice to stay. That team will never forget the betrayal of teammates and that is exactly what it is. Those teammates will never have the same relationship with their former teammates and coach.

I'd like to add a coaching perspective. I've been there so many times when key things happened. You hurt for the kids. Personally, I know the difference of teams that really have a shot and pretenders. When you get a team that far, you know that your school might not ever get there again. I am thinking that this coach showed a lot of poise and class by not joining in on the comments about the other girls. He has to have a level of frustration and maybe even anger that most will never have.

condensed - bones heal, blood clots, bruises fade (the beach is not going away) GLORY LIVES FOREVER

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Why is DFP attracting so many jackwagons these days? Really feels like there's a few new members who are only here to stir the pot and get everyone pissed off...sure it draws some page views in the short term but c'mon now, this is not a longer term strategy for success. And yes, I do realize that the sheer number of azzholes in our society is on the increase but let's not give them the time of day on here!

Newsflash!! It's very likely that the majority of visitors/members on this site do not have kids that will end up playing Pro Fastpitch or in College or quite possibly even "A" level ball (whatever that means in your area)...more likely they have DD's who are playing 10-14U rec, B or C and they are trying to figure out the game. Some of you who act all high and mighty need to get knocked down a few pegs to reality. Geez, practice a little humility and you might learn something.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
A great HS coach can make all the difference in the world.

Some of the girls at TB practice were contrasting the way girls at a HS with fantastic coaching have thrived while girls at a HS with bad coaching have suffered.

Jun 11, 2019
When you make post like this, you lose all credibility. "Nobody" is a generalization that isn't supported by sheer numbers. Of course the arrogance displayed in your post demonstrates your sheer ignorance. BTW, I am a teacher and I will match my knowledge and resume against anyone. There are several on this site who know that I walk it instead of talking it.

Darrell Butler
Alright, perhaps nobody is too much of a generalization. There are a handful of schools here, Norco, Los Alamitos, Gahr, Great Oak, Huntington Beach, Grand Terrace and a few private schools that care about HS ball. All of those schools are coached by travel ball coaches.
For all of the students at the 400+ other high schools in the section the high school season is just a break from travel ball and a chance to play with a few classmates. Come May they're set to go back to their teams and prepare for Colorado and then PGF.
That's just the way it is. Unless you're at one of the tiny handfull of schools that emphasizes the sport and hires actual coaches to run the program you're stuck with a clueless teacher who is taking the 2k a year stipend to coach an athletic team in between grading tests and that teacher will play the kids whose parents volunteer the most.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Don't get your labia chapped.
I mentioned it was just a HS game and not PGF, then someone stated that oklahoma university is recruiting their state tournament and I replied that more of their lineup was from California, where there is no state HS tournament, than from oklahoma and that's where you stuck your nose in to it.

Right and then you threw in about 2 or 3 not so subtle knocks against OK amateur softball for no apparent reason. By the way it isn't Oklahoma University, it is The University of Oklahoma...got it @J.Galt?

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Haven't posted much the last few months, but have to agree with whoever said that the ignore function is sweet. Just used it for the second time.

High school ball, while maybe "not important" in terms of college recruitment, garners far more attention and praise from fellow students and the general public than travel ball does.

May 6, 2015
Alright, perhaps nobody is too much of a generalization. There are a handful of schools here, Norco, Los Alamitos, Gahr, Great Oak, Huntington Beach, Grand Terrace and a few private schools that care about HS ball. All of those schools are coached by travel ball coaches.
For all of the students at the 400+ other high schools in the section the high school season is just a break from travel ball and a chance to play with a few classmates. Come May they're set to go back to their teams and prepare for Colorado and then PGF.
That's just the way it is. Unless you're at one of the tiny handfull of schools that emphasizes the sport and hires actual coaches to run the program you're stuck with a clueless teacher who is taking the 2k a year stipend to coach an athletic team in between grading tests and will play the kids whose parents volunteer the most.

why so cynical? i can guarantee to the entire student body, that HS means more than TB ever will. take off the optic yellow glasses, and realize there is so much more to the world than travel fastpitch.

at their 25 year reunion, no one is going to talk about a PGF gold platinum diamond showcase tournament victory. they will talk about that deep state championship run the girls had that year, or how the basketball team won sectionals, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
Why is DFP attracting so many jackwagons these days? Really feels like there's a few new members who are only here to stir the pot and get everyone pissed off...sure it draws some page views in the short term but c'mon now, this is not a longer term strategy for success. And yes, I do realize that the sheer number of azzholes in our society is on the increase but let's not give them the time of day on here!

Newsflash!! It's very likely that the majority of visitors/members on this site do not have kids that will end up playing Pro Fastpitch or in College or quite possibly even "A" level ball (whatever that means in your area)...more likely they have DD's who are playing 10-14U rec, B or C and they are trying to figure out the game. Some of you who act all high and mighty need to get knocked down a few pegs to reality. Geez, practice a little humility and you might learn something.
I am pretty sure this guy has been banned twice and is now on his third go around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles