Interaction with Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
In light of the bad experiences that umpires have received from coaches, could we just make a rule for Coaches that want an audience with an umpire goes to the warm up circle and wait for the umpire to approach them? Just seems like we need a better process for umpire interactions.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In light of the bad experiences that umpires have received from coaches, could we just make a rule for Coaches that want an audience with an umpire goes to the warm up circle and wait for the umpire to approach them? Just seems like we need a better process for umpire interactions.

There really is no need for this. It really isn't that hard.

I literally go over the procedure in pre-game meeting...

Wait for the play to end, call time and wait for it to be granted, approach the calling umpire and discuss.
If you don't do that, you are not actually asking me to do or consider anything. We will have a discussion - that is how it is going to be. Yelling, screaming, etc will get you nowhere.

And I don't yell across the field either - if I need to discuss something with a coach, I will call time. walk over to the coach I need to talk to and discuss in a normal voice. If I need to, I will then go talk to the other coach to tell them what we discussed. I do not yell across the field.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I like the question of the post trying to find solution.

Because it's a sporting event that has rules can understand considering applying a new rule that might try to help this. However it's a semi controlled environment, but not really a controlled environment.
Plus a rule on the field would not protect an umpire once they stepped off it.

Unfortunately bad behavior is not limited by an imaginary line of safety.
That and coaches are allowed to be on the field. Unless coaches had to stay in a locked cage or the umpires were given some sort of pepper spray to defend themselves (aka a deterrent)
* out of the box examples...
These unnecessary altercations will continue.

Also consider while these terrible sport related altercations make the news and we read about them here. They are probably an extremely small percentage of the games officiated.
Possibly bad human altercations happen a lot more frequently at other places we go on a daily basis like the grocery store or gas stations type of thing.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I am not suggesting this would solve the most extreme cases of coach and umpire interactions but maybe it would lower the "in you face" aggressiveness. It would show at least a token of respect that umpires deserve.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I am not suggesting this would solve the most extreme cases of coach and umpire interactions but maybe it would lower the "in you face" aggressiveness. It would show at least a token of respect that umpires deserve.
Absolutely it would show addressing an issue!
Just as other rules on the field have been implemented to address safety.

The rule could also discourage the umpires who like to get into coaches faces.

Jan 22, 2011
There really is no need for this. It really isn't that hard.

I literally go over the procedure in pre-game meeting...

Wait for the play to end, call time and wait for it to be granted, approach the calling umpire and discuss.
If you don't do that, you are not actually asking me to do or consider anything. We will have a discussion - that is how it is going to be. Yelling, screaming, etc will get you nowhere.

And I don't yell across the field either - if I need to discuss something with a coach, I will call time. walk over to the coach I need to talk to and discuss in a normal voice. If I need to, I will then go talk to the other coach to tell them what we discussed. I do not yell across the field.

As I've related before, when I started coaching, I was lucky to be an AC to a coach who was very respectful to umpires. One of the lessons I learned from observing his umpire interactions was if anyone but the umpire heard the discussion, then the coach wouldn't and shouldn't get the call changed.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I know I go on about it, but there isn't enough umpire training.

New umpires almost never get game management training. You either are lucky enough to have a great set of mentors to learn from, it is already in your nature so it comes naturally to you or you start to get it covered in training as you receive as you start to progress to a fairly high level.

If you watch high level and professional level umpires (whether you think they make great decisions or not), you will consistently note that they NEVER appear to get angry. They rarely - if ever - go beyond a normal talking voice when talking to coaches or even players about calls or the game (maybe some of the older MLB umpires - but they are almost all now retired out of the game). When you engage angry or loudly, you look like you are reacting - and you appear to have lost objectivity, authority and control. That is a good way to have a situation spiral out of control.

It is actually hard to yell at someone for any length of time if they are not reacting and we have already moved on to the next play. Most of the time you can let them blow off some steam and they stop; and if goes beyond that, and you need to address it you can just calmly tell them that is enough and they generally comply or tone it down. It is easy de-escalation. It avoids so many situations inexperienced officials get themselves into.

I see videos online of inexperienced officials reacting - it is a natural reaction to yell or yell back - but it is the wrong one. Yelling at someone who is already angry (and often irrationally angry) is only going to make them more angry.

Also you also never bluff - if you tell them the consequences for continuing - and they continue - then you follow through.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma