Icing shoulder Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD is 11 and I had heard that icing the shoulder(or arm) after a game or a strenuous workout is an excellent way to effect faster recovery.

We are in pre-season now and I was thinking about maybe getting an icepack for her shoulder and starting a post-practice/post game icing ritual. I figured I'd get one of these:http://www.petesice.com/2005/index.html

Is this too soon?
Also where do you ice the shoulder?

I assumed it was basically the deltoid as I have seen pitchers with ice bags taped to their shoulder after a game. DD told me yesterday she was sore in the muscles on either side of her armpit. for want of better terminology on the front where the pectoral joins the arm and on the back where the scapula joins the arm.

perhaps this is an anomally because her pitching muscles are coming out of their long winter rest?
thanks!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Those are OK at home, but they won't last at a tournament. I advocate icing for all ages and for any athlete that has put in a strenuous day. As to where to ice, I have a picture.

th_FInch.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Amy- A picture is worth 1000 words!
DD's pitching coach says she used to have an icing sleeve that she kept in the fridge/freezer and would just put it on after games. did her shoulder and elbow .

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Icing the shoulder is old school. The modern thinking is that unless you have pain and inflammation, you should NEVER ice the shoulder because it inhibits the body's natural processes to heal the muscles. Most pitchers experience fatigue after pitching and the best way to help the body heal is to actually to do a light run. Get rid of the ice unless you have an injury, in which case you should probably see a medical doctor.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If she has pain in front of or on the back of the shoulder, you have a major timing issue, I guarantee that. The arm must be just intpo the backswing at the instant of landing foot touchdown. Something there is way off.

Icing is done as a therapy for injury.

Never ice the shoulder or arm unless YOU ARE DONE PITCHING FOR THE DAY. Never EVER ice between games.

Apply the ice for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, 20 on, 20 off, 20 on and thats all. On for 3 times and thats it. Doing that stimulates the blood flow to that area so the injury will heal sooner.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. I agree with the ice on - then, off, then on again, method. I say 15 minutes - but we are close enough, in agreement. All MLB pitchers ice, as do all pro lady pitchers. I can guess that most college pitchers ice, also.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
After watching the mechanics of college pitchers in the SEC on TV the last few weeks, I can see why they would need to ice.

I agree that a light run after pitching or getting the pitcher on the elliptical back in the hotel for 15 minutes is a better idea for a tired arm then icing is. . . unless there is a chronic injury that needs to be treated.

I'd be interested in hearing a professional sports medicine dr. opinion on the subject.

-W

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard