How to handle this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I agree with the emails, that is why I talked to him last night, but alas another email to me stating that when I said the game is getting faster it hurt his DD feelings as now she thinks she isn't good enough. Gotta love 14/15 year olds!

Sometimes it takes being brutally honest with a player. You need to tell her you love her abilities, but her lack of foot speed is not allowing her to play the SS position properly. You have to put it in the context of doing what is best for the team and it's not about dissing her.

I've found as long as the player understands this and it's being done without malice they respond pretty well. OTOH.... Is daddy feeding her a line of BS at home? You say you've known them for a long time. Do the parents wear rose color glasses. If that's the case you'll need to be just as honest with them to get the glasses removed.

C

Coach Becky Wittenburg

Nothing is guaranteed in our contract. Just a member of the team. No playing or position. And we can dismiss at anytime.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd just say that you feel the current SS is better. It's as simple as that. If more specifics are needed, then say she has more range and speed. I wouldn't mention any shortcomings of the old SS, but rather focus on the assets of the new SS. "She's quicker to cover 2B,'' as opposed to, "Your DD isn't quick enough.''

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32