How do you teach quick IF throws?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
we had our 1st games of the winter season this weekend and I noticed a couple of our infielders with the strongest arms aren't uncorking the ball quickly.

Both were playing SS at different times and both threw the ball to 1B very hard but they took an extra fraction of a second to "load" their throws as you would from the outfield.

May have given the BR an extra step.

I'm thinking that directing them toward a quick throw where they don't bring the ball back past their ear could lead toward bad mechanics creeping into their throwing motion if not done correctly.

any ideas you have or video you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Howard Kobata has a new DVD that is a topic of conversation on many softball sites and this subject is addressed. They point that throw from SS is a big difference in softball to baseball, is discussed.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
SBF- Where's this being discussed?
I looked at his website and didn't see a new DVD mentioned, but I always did wonder about the throws the girls do in those videos. some of them don't look good for the arm.

Nov 1, 2009
We have a drill where we have three girls one fielding the throw, one feeding the thrower and of course the thrower. We put the fielder on the first base line and the thrower as deep as we can behind the 2nd to 3rd baseline which is about 70 feet. We have a the feeder roll fifteen balls to the thrower who throws to the fielder as quickly as she can. We measure the total time it takes to throw 15 balls and how many errant throws we have.

We do this religiously in the "spring training" of our workouts and usually once a week once we are in the regular season. It is great for footwork and getting the ball out quick all while building arm strength.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Quick throws have more to do with footwork and glove work then the throwing arm. Are these players catching the ball on the right side of their body, can they back hand some of these playes? Are they flat footed? Are they standing straight up before they move their feet? So many things contribute to slow releases.

Nov 1, 2009
Quick throws have more to do with footwork and glove work then the throwing arm. Are these players catching the ball on the right side of their body, can they back hand some of these playes? Are they flat footed? Are they standing straight up before they move their feet? So many things contribute to slow releases.

Proper technique is required when learning any skill. If they don't have good footwork they can't make good throws consistently, if they don't field and throw in one motion they can't have good times. You make a good point though since most coaches don't pay too much attention to the detail, just the result.

BLB

May 19, 2008
SBFAMILY, could you send me info regarding the sites that have discussions on Kobata & throwing, please? Thanks.

Mar 9, 2011
West Barstow, Ca
I watched the Kobata videos over and over last year until I felt comfortable to teach like him. I will probably watch them over and over again. I found myself sounding like him.His dvd set might be the only instructional dvd's I have purchased that were actually worth my money.They didnt seem new though. I am interested in anything he puts out. Forgive me, Hillhouse pitching dvd's were also equally worth my money. I would love to take my daughters to a Kobata clinic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32