How do you score this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2023
Runner on third, 1 out. Batter drops down a bunt, defense choses not to throw to first for the out, batter reaches safely. Hit, fielder's choice, defensive indifference, ....? Just curious as our parents have way different opinions on how it should be scored. Thanks.

May 20, 2015
Runner on third, 1 out. Batter drops down a bunt, defense choses not to throw to first for the out, batter reaches safely. Hit, fielder's choice, defensive indifference, ....? Just curious as our parents have way different opinions on how it should be scored. Thanks.

it is not defensive indifference......that involves the defense not making a play when it is perceived that the runner has no bearing on the outcome of the game.....that's not the case here

did they check the runner/hold the runner at 3rd? or just not make the play? in the scorers judgement, is there a chance the batter runner may have been safe at 1st even with a throw?

could be a FC, could be a hit......scorers judgement comes into play

Jul 10, 2023
Might have checked the runner, but the "no throw" was to keep the girl on third. Probably would have gotten the runner at first without much problem.

Does a fielder's choice have to include an attempt to get an out?

May 20, 2015
Might have checked the runner, but the "no throw" was to keep the girl on third. Probably would have gotten the runner at first without much problem.

Does a fielder's choice have to include an attempt to get an out?

i used to think so, but i've also read that it is called a FC if, in the scorers judgement, an out would have been recorded with ordinary effort if no runners had been on base......in this instance, it sounds like it is likely that with ordinary effort the out would have been recorded had no runner been on 3rd.......

Jun 11, 2013
I would like to see someone show the rule but I believe it's a hit if there is no attempt to get someone out. It's similar to a GB to SS with a runner on 3rd that they look the runner back and then the batter beats the throw. That is a hit even though the hitter would have been out had there not been runners on base.

Jun 11, 2013
i used to think so, but i've also read that it is called a FC if, in the scorers judgement, an out would have been recorded with ordinary effort if no runners had been on base......in this instance, it sounds like it is likely that with ordinary effort the out would have been recorded had no runner been on 3rd.......
That's not really a blanket statement. In the case of a player looking a runner back(not making a play on runner) then trying to get the batter and the batter is safe then it's a hit even though if bases were empty they would have been out. It makes up the FC's that occur when a runner makes a real bad read and is forced out on what would have been a hit had there been no one on base.

Jan 1, 2024
In high school we take the simple approach... if an out was not made, credit the batter with a hit. If an out was made, score it an FC on the batter. The Fielder's Choice simply transfers the out from the batter to another runner. There is no need to complicate things by relying on a scorekeeper to decide if the batter-runner would have been safe if a throw had been made to 1B. Very few high school softball scorekeepers have actually played the game themselves and are qualified to make subjective shoulda-coulda-woulda judgements about the game! We also make collective decisions as a coaching staff about errors vs. hits and do not leave it up to the scorekeeper.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
In high school we take the simple approach... if an out was not made, credit the batter with a hit. If an out was made, score it an FC on the batter. The Fielder's Choice simply transfers the out from the batter to another runner. There is no need to complicate things by relying on a scorekeeper to decide if the batter-runner would have been safe if a throw had been made to 1B. Very few high school softball scorekeepers have actually played the game themselves and are qualified to make subjective shoulda-coulda-woulda judgements about the game! We also make collective decisions as a coaching staff about errors vs. hits and do not leave it up to the scorekeeper.
Sounds like you need better scorekeepers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck