How do I teach them to layout!!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
I am looking to put together a plan for the winter season and it involves teaching my girls how to layout for a ball in the infield/outfield .

Obviously natural ability comes into play, but does anyone have any specific drills too work with that will help my girls learn. Some are afraid to layout and some just don't know how ? I have tried putting them on their knees and making them dive for balls left and right on grass . They look good there but put them on the field they look like robots.. LOL...

Any references or advice is greatly appreciated..... Thanks JWP

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Our facility has a big pole vault pad they bought inexpensiely that was well used and beat up from a local school. Our FP coaches use that so the girls don't get hurt to teach them and they have a blast diving onto it to catch the ball. I never really payed attention to how well it worked in a game though because our FP teams play on a different set of fields.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
New England
Check out this video. The diving drill is at about the 17:35 mark. I started doing this with my 14u team this Summer and they absolutely loved it and started requesting it almost every practice.

Fastpitch TV – fastpitch softball videos, fastpitch softball podcasts, fastpitch softball blogs and a whole lot more. » Blog Archive » Outfield Drills – Episode 168 – Carol Bruggeman

I play OF in high school, and I am definitely telling my coach about this drill! I would just make sure to tell everyone to call the ball so that there aren't any collisions.

justwannaplay, I also know of a drill that helps younger plays get more comfortable with diving. You can do this on the infield or outfield, or even use a mat if there's a kid who is really nervous. Have the kid kneel down with their glove on. Use a tennis ball, whiffle ball, or a softball and roll it just towards their left or right (just out of their reach so they have to lay out for it). This way, when they do layout, they are only falling from a kneeling position, which means less they will feel less force when they hit the ground. Then you can move up to them in their fielding position, but they don't take a step before diving. Just from their fielding stance right into a dive. After they are comfortable with that, then you can have them take a couple steps before.

Good luck!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We start the progression on mat, on hands and knees. Dive forward for dead ball, dive forward for rolling ball, then dive forward for air ball. Next up on one knee, do all three ball drills. Then low crouch, all three ball drills.

Take it slow, tell them get distance, land like an airplane...smooth.

I never practice full standing, and never practice on hard ground. Save that for the game when instincts and addrenalin take out any pain.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I use diving drill in the outfield grass. I make it a competition because they don't like to get shown up. I line up in a straight line toward me, with the girls about 15 feet away. I then toss balls left and right and get them to dive for them. I give them a point for every catch.

The second time around I start making some throws shorter so they have to dive forward. I make progress this way and insure aggressiveness.

Mar 1, 2012
We are fortunate that one of our girl's father & mother own a martial arts studio. Most of the team showed up for a two hour lesson. First hour was on self defense and the girls were amazed how easy they could bring a man to his knees. Very valuable for young girls. The remaining was a judo lesson on how to fall properly without getting hurt. We then incorporated diving at tennis balls with their gloves. They all loved it and I think the majority of fear is now gone. If you can hook up with a dojo (gym) and ask if they would give a free lesson to the team and consider it advertising I think they would do it. Most offer a free month as a trial anyway. Here is a video of the dad having fun with the girls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck