How can you argue this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Playing on a field where the infield is cut really deep (300 foot fences, but using temp 200 ft fences). We have R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, batter hits a pop fly that is between the SS and LF. Umpire calls Infield Fly, batter is out. Which is all fine if it was an IF... the ball landed past the SS going out, and the LF coming in. Our runners advance, and of course I'm holding my hands on my head and asked "How can you make that call?"

Bottom line, umpire comes over and says, "Coach, I blew the call, won't happen again. I can't fix the call, but it was my mistake." Now, how in the heck can you argue???? Hahaha. Yup stopped me right then and there!!!!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Playing on a field where the infield is cut really deep (300 foot fences, but using temp 200 ft fences). We have R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, batter hits a pop fly that is between the SS and LF. Umpire calls Infield Fly, batter is out. Which is all fine if it was an IF... the ball landed past the SS going out, and the LF coming in. Our runners advance, and of course I'm holding my hands on my head and asked "How can you make that call?"

Bottom line, umpire comes over and says, "Coach, I blew the call, won't happen again. I can't fix the call, but it was my mistake." Now, how in the heck can you argue???? Hahaha. Yup stopped me right then and there!!!!

I'm pretty sure there are some Atlanta Brave fans who still ask this questions.[video]http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/0/v25336303/nl-wc-umps-call-infield-fly-rule-on-simmons-popup[/video]

Sep 29, 2014
They can fix the call, if no one caught the ball they can place the batter on first.

Not really the other coach would argue that as soon as the IF was called his players let up and could have caught the ball given ordinary effort BUT they stopped giving their ordinary effort after hearing the call. That would be my guess as to why overturning it wold be a bigger can of worms than just fessing up and moving on.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Not really the other coach would argue that as soon as the IF was called his players let up and could have caught the ball given ordinary effort BUT they stopped giving their ordinary effort after hearing the call. That would be my guess as to why overturning it wold be a bigger can of worms than just fessing up and moving on.

A coach could try that argument, but an intelligent umpire will blow off the claim simply because it makes no sense. An IF is a live ball, so if the defense elects to discontinue their effort to field it, that is the defense's problem.

Sep 29, 2014
A coach could try that argument, but an intelligent umpire will blow off the claim simply because it makes no sense. An IF is a live ball, so if the defense elects to discontinue their effort to field it, that is the defense's problem.

So you would be OK with simply as an umpire after the fact saying "no I changed my mind the runner at 1st is safe, just kidding about the IF thing"?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA