Horrible obstruction call UCLA vs stanford

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
NFCA had a webinar about this back in February. Join for $45 so you can see it!

May 18, 2019
NFCA had a webinar about this back in February. Join for $45 so you can see it!

I don't need to pay $45 and watch a webinar to confirm a bad call 😇. In what world is this obstruction and the play in the OU Texas game is not? That play was much more egregious (and to be clear I think the umps got that one right by not calling it).

Jan 22, 2011
I don't need to pay $45 and watch a webinar to confirm a bad call 😇. In what world is this obstruction and the play in the OU Texas game is not? That play was much more egregious (and to be clear I think the umps got that one right by not calling it).
I agree. I’ve watched part of it, but not the whole thing. I went to an USA Umpire School in January and in an off the record side conversation, an NCAA D1 umpire said the coaches really can’t complain because they vote on rule changes and they approved the rule changes. Umpires can’t ignore rules that make no logical sense. They have to foillow what is in the Book.

Jul 27, 2021
That is a pretty good play.

"Legitimate reaction to the trajectory of the ball after it is thrown"

Seems like the catcher is well within the rules. Runner is OUT.

Jun 18, 2023
Terrible call.

really nice play though, throw right on line, one hop, nice grab and tag by the catcher. Well done.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
In what world is this obstruction and the play in the OU Texas game is not? That play was much more egregious (and to be clear I think the umps got that one right by not calling it).

This right here. The Stanford catcher executed perfectly. As I've stated elsewhere, there is widespread inconsistency/confusion over the practical application of obstruction rules in NCAA softball. Look for more of this nonsense during the WCWS.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Reaction to the trajectory of the ball"
They need to either change this or apply it correctly. A ball thrown home from an outfielder could be in the air for at least 1.5 seconds. The catcher should be "reacting to the balls trajectory" shortly after the ball is released. So that could place the catcher in the runners path for a whole second which is a real long time.
Now what happens if the catcher blocks the plate, reaches out towards fair territory, catches ball and applies tag? Will the ump have to decide if she intentionally blocked plate or if she slightly misjudged the trajectory of the ball.
As the rule reads now there should almost never be an obstruction call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA