Help - Struggling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Hi all,

I help coach an 18 team, we just finished our 4th Tournament and for the life of me I cannot figure out what is going on. The Fall, and the first 2 Tournaments of Summer things were looking really good for us, very solid team both offensive and defensive.
The last 2 Tournaments have been dismal to say the least. In the last game, every single infielder from F-1 to F-6 had at least 1 error, some had 2-3 errors. I'm not talking a hard shot that glances off the glove, I'm talking about routine ground balls. We went from committing 1 maybe 2 errors a game, to committing 6-10 errors in the last few games.
Nothing has changed, no new positions, in practice they are solid at fielding, I hit all sorts of balls to them hard, soft, line drives, short hops, high bouncers and we conduct situations during practice. In warm ups, we look really good fielding... but when it comes to games....

I really am at a loss to what is happening or how to correct it. We (coaches) rarely yell, 99% of the time are calm and positive with the girls so its not pressure from not making mistakes. (Although it's getting difficult to stay positive during this time the way they are playing :)

I will say that this year, we have the majority of team members that were HS Seniors this year (far more than in the past) so not sure if it's just mental with them with everything going on. We talked as a team, and the girls don't understand what is happening either.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Errors are contagious. By now, errors are all they are thinking about. Reward them. Nice plays get bubble gum or whatever. Get them thinking about the rewards.

Jun 8, 2016
Hi all,

I help coach an 18 team, we just finished our 4th Tournament and for the life of me I cannot figure out what is going on. The Fall, and the first 2 Tournaments of Summer things were looking really good for us, very solid team both offensive and defensive.
The last 2 Tournaments have been dismal to say the least. In the last game, every single infielder from F-1 to F-6 had at least 1 error, some had 2-3 errors. I'm not talking a hard shot that glances off the glove, I'm talking about routine ground balls. We went from committing 1 maybe 2 errors a game, to committing 6-10 errors in the last few games.
Nothing has changed, no new positions, in practice they are solid at fielding, I hit all sorts of balls to them hard, soft, line drives, short hops, high bouncers and we conduct situations during practice. In warm ups, we look really good fielding... but when it comes to games....

I really am at a loss to what is happening or how to correct it. We (coaches) rarely yell, 99% of the time are calm and positive with the girls so its not pressure from not making mistakes. (Although it's getting difficult to stay positive during this time the way they are playing :)

I will say that this year, we have the majority of team members that were HS Seniors this year (far more than in the past) so not sure if it's just mental with them with everything going on. We talked as a team, and the girls don't understand what is happening either.

Sh** happens?? That said, if they are the kind of kids who you want on your team, e.g. kids who care, they may be putting too much pressure on themselves regardless of whether the coaches yell. You cannot play any sport effectively when you are worried about making a mistake. Put together a blooper reel of HL softball and baseball players making errors on what appear to be the easiest of balls and show it to them.. I've thought about doing this for my DD but haven't done it of yet. We did get to see open practices at the WCWS and I made sure to point out to her all of the popups in BP and errors in fielding practice (and there were a lot..)..

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Sh** happens?? That said, if they are the kind of kids who you want on your team, e.g. kids who care, they may be putting too much pressure on themselves regardless of whether the coaches yell. You cannot play any sport effectively when you are worried about making a mistake. Put together a blooper reel of HL softball and baseball players making errors on what appear to be the easiest of balls and show it to them.. I've thought about doing this for my DD but haven't done it of yet. We did get to see open practices at the WCWS and I made sure to point out to her all of the popups in BP and errors in fielding practice (and there were a lot..)..

We talk about having a positive mindset all the time. It takes as much practice to identify negative thoughts creeping in and changing the mindset as it does the physical aspects of the game. I'm sure they are putting pressure on themselves because we typically pride ourselves with our defense. Maybe I'll have a light practice and concentrate more on recognizing when negative thoughts are taking over and how to combat it with the team.

Jun 8, 2016
We talk about having a positive mindset all the time. It takes as much practice to identify negative thoughts creeping in and changing the mindset as it does the physical aspects of the game. I'm sure they are putting pressure on themselves because we typically pride ourselves with our defense. Maybe I'll have a light practice and concentrate more on recognizing when negative thoughts are taking over and how to combat it with the team.

I know it is easier said then done but they just have to go out there and play carefree..believe me I am last person who should be lecturing anybody on this since it was my inability to do this which ruined my career for the most part. If they realize that even the best players in the world make errors maybe it will let them relax a bit.

May 1, 2018
From the sounds of it I bet they are pressing. Sometimes it feels like they want to win the game all by themselves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA