Head coach first or third

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
You're welcome to that opinion, but IMO sounds like you're reaching. I'm not holier-than-anyone, and don't ever care to be. I consider myself to be the best person for the 3B coaching job, end of story. In fact, I'm probably top 10 in the world of 10u softball at the job.

Jan 31, 2011
Its up to you. Do what you want and have fun, period. I take 3b out of habit. I have no ego & would not care the least if an assistant took over that job. Why would you not have the same offensive philosophy as your assistants?

Wow, top 10 in the world? Must be magic at 3b for those kids, lol.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You're welcome to that opinion, but IMO sounds like you're reaching. I'm not holier-than-anyone, and don't ever care to be. I consider myself to be the best person for the 3B coaching job, end of story. In fact, I'm probably top 10 in the world of 10u softball at the job.

Unfortunately, I'm not reaching that far. 3B coach watching was one of the things I entertained myself with this year while observing from the OF foul line. Its not rocket science, but there's more to it than meets the eye and for some the shoe definitely fits better than others. And FWIW, top 10 is good, but top 5 is better so keep working hard!

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia

You have much to learn, grasshopper... If you don't agree, I recommend coaching 1st, but then again, coaching 1st properly is not an easy job either.

I have coached 1st for more than 10 yrs, and I'm still learning how to do it better. I have seen coaches who have coached 3rd for 20yrs who are still learning. I also know coaches who think they know what they are doing, and don't need to learn because they never get girls thrown out at home.

Just sayin'... ;)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Does anyone ever let players coach the bases? I will do it in fall ball and scrimmages so that the girls get a different look and feel for base-running. I'm not talking about 10U, but at 12U and above, some girls really enjoy it and get a sense of how some of the base-running decisions are made. It is easy enough to relay signs to the 3rd base coach from the dugout/bucket.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have not seen it but I wish it was a rule like in LL baseball, not sure what age groups. You are only allowed 1 coach in a box, always 3rd, and then a Player at 1st. I think even at 10U the rule would work OK and like it for some of the reasons you mentioned plus more.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I was curious because the team we played this Saturday I think pulled a guy from the bus stop and asked him to coach first...meaning it seemingly wasn't as important as the head coach coaching 3rd. I want to make an impression on the parents (new parents) that I am indeed running the team yet, I like encouraging our girls out of the dugout on the 1st base side. I agree with most of what has been said especially the smiles the kids have when they get to 3rd. I have found that you can affect strategy more from 3b than you can from 1st.

Sep 3, 2009
I have not seen it but I wish it was a rule like in LL baseball, not sure what age groups. You are only allowed 1 coach in a box, always 3rd, and then a Player at 1st. I think even at 10U the rule would work OK and like it for some of the reasons you mentioned plus more.

That's from a "former" LL rule where in tournament play you could only have 1 manager and 1 coach if you carried fewer than 13 players on the team. If you wanted another coach you had to have at least 13 players. It was a silly rule designed to try and force coaches to carry more players. Teams that went with 12 or fewer players would then have a player don a helmet and coach first base since the rules state that a coach must remain in the dugout area at all times. Thankfully, LL eliminated this rule last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd