Head coach first or third

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2010
Up until this year, I have always coached 3B. This year, I am having an asst take 3B and I am going in the dugout. From 3B, you can manage game situations better. But let's be honest, in some games, there is not a single productive thing done by the base coaches. If I am in the dugout, I can be coaching the entire team; discussing plays from the last inning with SS & 2B, talking with C about P's movement, etc. I can be more focused on possible situations and how I want to make substitutions. All in all, I think I can do more from dugout. Ask me in a couple years and I will let you know if I was right.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The 3rd base coach is extremely important and contributes to the Team’s success, still would rather be in the dugout and have someone else coach 3rd.

Being in the dugout gives you an opportunity to discuss game situations with the Players when it is fresh on their minds and you can get an answer for why they made the decision that they did or compliment them on what a good job they did.

Nov 1, 2009
Calling the signs can be done from anywhere in the park. The question you must ask yourself is are you comfortable with any decision your assistant makes at third. Usually when a mistake is made at third you take a runner out of scoring position.

Sep 21, 2011
Agree that calling signs can be done from anywhere. You don't see too many MLB managers trotting out to 3B. And if you have good coaches, you should be able to feel comfortable letting them make decisions. The manager also needs to coach the coaches. Of course, the buck stops with the manager.

Mar 11, 2009
so for the head coach that says he like to coach first base when his team is in first base side dugout, do you coach third base when your team is in the third base dugout? I prefer that we have one coach at third and one at first and they stay at the base all season. That way our girls get used to their base coaches and know what to expect from each one. I can see it makes a big difference too when we have to sub in a coach at first the girls aren't always sure if he will tell them the same things they are taught to do by the regular base coach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd