Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
So Anna asked me what I wanted for Christmas….thought about it for a few minutes, a leather valet pocket dump tray.

So closing in on a month now, no idea I’d love this thing as much as I do! I think I mentioned it here before, and I’ve wanted one for a while. I’m glad she got me one, makes me love it that much more!
View attachment 27255View attachment 27256
Somewhere along the line I acquired a black leather version of that...it's on a shelf. Collecting dust. ;-)

Oct 1, 2014
USA
On another off-topic - I've finally gotten around to repainting my shop. When I bought this place 20+ years ago the old man who had owned it must have gotten a smoking deal on a bunch of institutional/hospital green paint. The garage interior as well as a separate building that used to be his machine shop were all this same ugly, green color. BTW, I'm about halfway thru swapping out all the old 8' fluorescent tube lights with old school ballasts to LED..soooo much better! Has anyone else gone through this conversion?

Anyway, I've discovered another thing that I suck at and just don't like doing. Drywall or I should say specifically the taping and mudding aspect of a ceiling drywall. Ugh. It was only a relatively small section that had been damaged during a major snowstorm (& subsequent melt) so I figured I'd tackle it. It's a good thing it's out in the shop and not in the house or my DW would not be happy with me. Takes more skill and patience than I had planned for!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
On another off-topic - I've finally gotten around to repainting my shop. When I bought this place 20+ years ago the old man who had owned it must have gotten a smoking deal on a bunch of institutional/hospital green paint. The garage interior as well as a separate building that used to be his machine shop were all this same ugly, green color. BTW, I'm about halfway thru swapping out all the old 8' fluorescent tube lights with old school ballasts to LED..soooo much better! Has anyone else gone through this conversion?

Anyway, I've discovered another thing that I suck at and just don't like doing. Drywall or I should say specifically the taping and mudding aspect of a ceiling drywall. Ugh. It was only a relatively small section that had been damaged during a major snowstorm (& subsequent melt) so I figured I'd tackle it. It's a good thing it's out in the shop and not in the house or my DW would not be happy with me. Takes more skill and patience than I had planned for!
Institutional 😆😆

I’ve only done drywall once, the measuring, cutting, and screwing to the wall, no problem. But like you, the taping & mudding….I’ll leave that to the professionals, they make it look too easy!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Institutional 😆😆

I’ve only done drywall once, the measuring, cutting, and screwing to the wall, no problem. But like you, the taping & mudding….I’ll leave that to the professionals, they make it look too easy!
Taping and spackling is an art form. If you get it wrong, you'll see it forever. When I finished my basement, I did all the work myself except for the taping and spackling, carpet, and HVAC work. I did all the drywall work up until that point, but hiring the guys to handle that last part was the best money I spent on the whole job.

Jan 8, 2019

Sounds like he was a machinist in the military and walked home with some extra paint. That green (guessing at what it actually looked like) has adorned many a home machine shop with surplus equipment and paint!

Too bad you upgraded the lighting so you can see your handy work better. Maybe put one of the old ballasts back in and it won’t look so bad!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Sounds like he was a machinist in the military and walked home with some extra paint. That green (guessing at what it actually looked like) has adorned many a home machine shop with surplus equipment and paint!

Too bad you upgraded the lighting so you can see your handy work better. Maybe put one of the old ballasts back in and it won’t look so bad!
Certainly a possibility. Good old Charlie (the previous owner) was a machinist back in his day along with several other duties in this town. He owned the previously described Dinkey the Donkey, along with several Dachsunds I'm told. He helped the auto shop kids with their school projects in his/my shop, he was a Deacon in the local church and was a founding member of the Mounted Park Patrol here. Judging from the way the house and outbuildings were constructed he bartered and traded for most services so it's entirely possible that he traded a Vet for some paint. And I'll bet your right with the guess about the color of the green...if you've seen it before, you remember.

The section of the ceiling that I am (trying) to repair is fairly small, basically one sheet. I figured I'd be able to at least make it look passable but...so far, not so much. Maybe I'll just hang a tie-dyed sheet over it like we did in our dorm rooms back in the 70's. ;-)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Certainly a possibility. Good old Charlie (the previous owner) was a machinist back in his day along with several other duties in this town. He owned the previously described Dinkey the Donkey, along with several Dachsunds I'm told. He helped the auto shop kids with their school projects in his/my shop, he was a Deacon in the local church and was a founding member of the Mounted Park Patrol here. Judging from the way the house and outbuildings were constructed he bartered and traded for most services so it's entirely possible that he traded a Vet for some paint. And I'll bet your right with the guess about the color of the green...if you've seen it before, you remember.

The section of the ceiling that I am (trying) to repair is fairly small, basically one sheet. I figured I'd be able to at least make it look passable but...so far, not so much. Maybe I'll just hang a tie-dyed sheet over it like we did in our dorm rooms back in the 70's. ;-)
The world needs more Charlie’s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd