Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, maybe you could show us the grip that you promote. Maybe a video of one of the hitters you work with?

No problem MTS ... I'm not here to pretend I have a secret. Perhaps you'll reciprocate and describe the grip that you advocate ... which after you have made 5 posts, in a thread that you started on the topic, you still haven't described.

I personally believe that the wrist angle is important ... and that if you take that viewpoint, then the concept of having roughly equal elbow-to-elbow spacing ... from the point in the swing where the 'upper torso begins rotating' to 'contact', will be more easily accomplished. Stated differently, the concept of a 'connected swing' is more easily accomplished if you pay attention to the setting of proper wrist angles. Stated yet another way ... those that advocate "turning the triangle" will have more success if they pay attention to first establishing the setting of the wrist angle. It turns out, that when I satisfy this desire to establish the wrist 'angle' ... as Hodge demonstrated ... and as Donny emphasized ... that I end up having the knocking knuckles on the top hand roughly aligned with where the wedding ring is located on the bottom hand. Furthermore, IMO, those that advocate aligning the knuckles of both the top & bottom hand, degrade the wrist angle, and place themselves at a disadvantage in terms of realizing the objective of making "connected swings".

R

RayR

I end up having the knocking knuckles on the top hand roughly aligned with where the wedding ring is located on the bottom hand.

Why can't you just write the above part? Why do always quote multiple sources?

Is that it? Is that the grip you advocate? Just tell the player the above?

OK, my turn. I like this grip.

Top hand - lay bat across the index finger in between the punching and knocking knuckle and diagonally across the palm like you should hold a hammer. Bottom hand- lay bay across where fingers and palm meet. Not really aware or care how the knuckles line up. This sets the wrists properly and allows the wrists more range of motion and a top hand that can power through contact. Make sure the bat is in the fingers and not deep in the bottom hand palm.

Takes getting used to.

Happy now...
No problem MTS ... I'm not here to pretend I have a secret. Perhaps you'll reciprocate and describe the grip that you advocate ... which after you have made 5 posts, in a thread that you started on the topic, you still haven't described.

I personally believe that the wrist angle is important ... and that if you take that viewpoint, then the concept of having roughly equal elbow-to-elbow spacing ... from the point in the swing where the 'upper torso begins rotating' to 'contact', will be more easily accomplished. Stated differently, the concept of a 'connected swing' is more easily accomplished if you pay attention to the setting of proper wrist angles. Stated yet another way ... those that advocate "turning the triangle" will have more success if they pay attention to first establishing the setting of the wrist angle. It turns out, that when I satisfy this desire to establish the wrist 'angle' ... as Hodge demonstrated ... and as Donny emphasized ... that I end up having the knocking knuckles on the top hand roughly aligned with where the wedding ring is located on the bottom hand. Furthermore, IMO, those that advocate aligning the knuckles of both the top & bottom hand, degrade the wrist angle, and place themselves at a disadvantage in terms of realizing the objective of making "connected swings".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you for the content MTS.

I personally feel it is helpful when people explain their logic. Many of the instructors I interact with share their reasoning as to why they do what they do, and I personally appreciate it.

Even when interacting with a student, some degree of understanding is important. Studies have shown that a player performing a drill will extract the benefit of the drill 3x faster if they perform the drill with the knowledge of why they are performing the drill.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pretty much where The Big Guy always described it too.

Epstein as well.

I keep getting kids that think they should line-up their knocking knuckles. I explain where we are headed ... and they quickly understand that they need to abandon that silly notion.

Years ago I didn't bother to cover the grip .... it just seemed to basic and obvious to me ... only to learn in later sessions that the kids struggling the most with connection where also the same kids that had the LL mentality of lining up the door knocking knuckles. Now I cover it in the beginning.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Turbo slot gloves. You can save money and get the same results with a simple hair tie. Cut it in 1/2 and tie it on the first finger of the top hand. Make sure when she grips the bat that the handle of the bat is below the hair tie or toward the end of your fingers. You can hit in the cage or off a T with it on and start learning how to grip the bat correctly and allowing her to get to extension. Howard does this all the time, with kids he works with. I did the same thing with three kids Saturday in the cage and they could feel and hear how much harder they were hitting the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG