Good service project/team building activity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Just got back from a very cool service project that doubled as a team building event. It was with an organization called Feed My Starving Children. Essentially, you pack dried food into bags, seal them, then pack the bags into a box that could be shipped to hungry children pretty much anywhere in the world.

I was looking for a service project for our players, a way for them to give back to the community (or in this case the world). One of our parents suggested it, as she has participated before. This one was extra meaningful because it was to benefit kids like them. It's amazing that one of those packets, which is a little larger than a packet of brown sugar, can feed six children or four adults for a day.
FeedMyStarvingChildrenserviceproject014.JPG

The other nice thing about this project is its team building effects, both for the players and any parents who participate. It's essentially a mini production line, so everyone has to work together to keep things flowing. Once you get into a rhythm it's amazing how quickly you can get things going. Our girls were having a good time, talking and working together. So were the parents, friends and sibilings who also participated.

The shift we participated in packed 257 boxes, which accounted for 55,512 daily meals -- enough to feed 152 children for an entire year. That's a pretty good feeling.

If you're looking for something non-softball for your team to do in order to understand how fortunate they are, and to help them grow into good citizens as well as good softball players, I highly recommend this one. Several of our parents walked out at the end of our two-hour shift saying they plan to do it with their neighborhood, church or some other group. Looks like it will be an annual event for us!
FeedMyStarvingChildrenserviceproject008.JPG

More...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1