Good reflex / reaction drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Note that we just got back from a D1 camp and coach there said to the girls - take off those masks as we will teach you how to field a ball.

If this is not a message then I don't know one....

Our teams coach made the right calibration later with our team in saying he definitely does not have any care if our team wears masks, as long as it does not negatively affect play, but that the girls should know that if all things equal the mask-wearer will not be chosen over the non-mask-wearer.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Note that we just got back from a D1 camp and coach there said to the girls - take off those masks as we will teach you how to field a ball.

If this is not a message then I don't know one....

Our teams coach made the right calibration later with our team in saying he definitely does not have any care if our team wears masks, as long as it does not negatively affect play, but that the girls should know that if all things equal the mask-wearer will not be chosen over the non-mask-wearer.

With DI, you're battling tradition and a perceived showing of weakness. I'll bet it becomes standard within 10 years and then it will be like "what do you mean, they used to pitch without them!?"

I think your travel ball coach's clarification is BS. It's like saying I treat all players the same, but all things being equal, preference will be determined by .................. fill in the blank with a) IQ b) looks c) height d) weight e) hair color f) shoe size. If he really wants to be a tough guy like the D1 coach, he should come right out and admit rather than trying to be PC.

(nb - my DD and my rear't coach's DD aren't listed as formal fill in the blank options because they have been assumed)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Regardless if the player wears a face mask during a game once you start testing her reflexes and pushing her she should be wearing one for that type of practice.

Oct 19, 2009
I really wasn't trying to start a mask debate or anything. I got her in the cage and (with mask on) hit some screamers at her with a bucket of tennis balls. She did pretty well with it although it doesn't quite simulate a game situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck