Glove Relace Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I am going to take a shot at relacing my old HOH 1005. I went to https://www.buyfastpitchgloves.com/ and bought 6 - 3/16 and 3 - 1/4 laces. I did measure and the 1005 does use 1/4 at the top. I bought enough for another glove if this goes well and I enjoy it.

Reading deeper in the site they mention thinning the laces for the palm. I did not do that option. Should I buy more and have it skived? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance.
CMN

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I am going to take a shot at relacing my old HOH 1005. I went to https://www.buyfastpitchgloves.com/ and bought 6 - 3/16 and 3 - 1/4 laces. I did measure and the 1005 does use 1/4 at the top. I bought enough for another glove if this goes well and I enjoy it.

Reading deeper in the site they mention thinning the laces for the palm. I did not do that option. Should I buy more and have it skived? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance.
CMN
Lots (most) of your big time re-lacers / restorers skive their lace for the palm, I never have, in fact I don’t think I had ever heard of this until two or three years ago…

There’s been times I’ve thought the lace you can see and feel on the inside palm liner was a little rude and you could feel it was a little taller and the edges were too sharp on a new re-lace.

I’ve started soaking a shop rag with conditioner and pulling the lace through it several times to soften the lace up.

Did you get yourself a Perma-Lok needle?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yep. Got the perma lock. Both sizes. I don’t think I’ll ever use the small one
There's been times.....but the larger needle will cover probably 98% of your needs.

Have you ever used a Perma-Lok needle? There's definitely a trick that Dan Davis showed me, at first I thought he was BS'ing me, but he wasn't!

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I always skive the laces for the palm.. It definitely makes it less bulky and possibly easier to close.

But honestly, I can't imagine that it makes that much difference.

Relacing gloves is like making those Japanese zen sand gardens, really therapeutic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1