Foreign substance on ball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
They say most MLB pitchers use some type of foreign substance on the ball.

I've never seen or heard of a softball pitcher being caught using a foreign substance on a ball, other than rosin, but I'm sure it happens.

Does a pitcher using a foreign substance on a softball give that much of an advantage?

Below is a story about Royals catcher Salvador Perez spotted with a foreign substance (maybe pine tar) on his shin guard, which it is not illegal for him to have the substance on him, but the indication is he is applying it to the baseball for the pitcher. :confused:

World Series 2015: Substance spotted on Salvador Perez's shin guard; KC says it's legal | MLB | Sporting News

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you are going to apply a foreign substance to a ball it needs to be something that is colorless, provides lubrication, and that you or your catcher can easily wipe off if required. Pine tar would be an epic fail on all counts. There is more to this dark art than the application of a foreign substance. Have heard of some pitchers back in the day taking the alternate path from lubricant to sharpening belt buckles to cut or rough up the ball to enhance movement. Few actually resort to such shenanigans and even fewer got any tangible results like that of Gaylord Perry.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd was threatened with ejection by a HPU for rubbing dirt on a brand new ball while she was in the circle..... is dirt considered foreign?

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
My dd was threatened with ejection by a HPU for rubbing dirt on a brand new ball while she was in the circle..... is dirt considered foreign?

Yes it is, four weeks ago late night pool play, foul hit into RF, ball gets wet from dew on grass, RF throws to pitcher, pitcher, who is in the circle, notices ball is wet, reaches down grabs handful of dirt, rubs dirt on ball, blue sees this and immediately calls illegal pitch runners advance one base, winning run comes across home.

end of story...

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
Bull Frog Sunscreen on the arm. Hit it with rosin. It becomes tacky. Favorite method of MLB pitchers, It is clear and does not leave a noticeable residue on the ball.

At least that is what I have heard. Not sure if it would be helpful in softball.

Jun 22, 2008
Dirt is not a foreign substance by itself, but it is illegal to apply it directly to the ball or put dirt in the glove and then the ball. It is considered defacing the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse