Florida is swinging the 2020 Ghost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
“I’d of been a D1 All-American and made the Olympic team If my parents had just bought me the right bat!” Would be an accurate statement..........oh never!!!

If you’re an elite hitter with a Ghost you’ll be an elite hitter with a Xeno, LXT, CF. You might ‘prefer’ the feel of one over the other but if you have the talent to hit for high average and power and you can execute that talent in live games with one decent quality bat, you’ll be able to do it with another decent quality bat.

You have a completely valid point. However, preference matters. Having a bat in your hands that you think will help you hit the ball better WILL help you hit the ball better. Also, if you are getting 1 mph better exit velocity from one bat over another, it becomes a difference-maker for a player who is already banging the ball to the fence. One extra mph puts more balls on the other side of the fence.

Oct 29, 2016
You have a completely valid point. However, preference matters. Having a bat in your hands that you think will help you hit the ball better WILL help you hit the ball better. Also, if you are getting 1 mph better exit velocity from one bat over another, it becomes a difference-maker for a player who is already banging the ball to the fence. One extra mph puts more balls on the other side of the fence.
I agree that ‘believing’ in your equipment, feeling confident with it related to personal preference, etc absolutely can make a difference. Most girls I’ve come across DO have a preference for a particular bat(s) over other bats. Without a doubt, when a teenager decides they just like something or just don’t like something..........certainly that will effect how they perform.

However, I will say that I’ve been around a reasonable number of girls, definitely a minority but more than a handful, that do not get brand-attached with bats and are not really all that picky about bats. I’ve seen several of them hit equally well, and essentially equally far with a CF, Xeno, LXT, Ghost, and the high end Rawlings and Mizuno bats. Now in a controlled study, would there maybe be a tiny difference in ball flight distance? Sure.........but absolutely not enough to effect any coach or recruiters judgement regarding them being great hitters.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Now in a controlled study, would there maybe be a tiny difference in ball flight distance? Sure.........but absolutely not enough to effect any coach or recruiters judgement regarding them being great hitters.

I don't know. A dinger over the OF's glove, and the batter will get remembered. A fly ball caught at the fence, and the OF will get remembered. ;)

Oct 29, 2016
I don't know. A dinger over the OF's glove, and the batter will get remembered. A fly ball caught at the fence, and the OF will get remembered. ;)
Yeah if most of your fly balls get caught right at fence! But 14 homers hit with one bat and 16 homers with another......with a similar high batting average will not cause a coach to walk away thinking any differently. He/she will walk away thinking “great hitter” in both circumstances.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yeah if most of your fly balls get caught right at fence! But 14 homers hit with one bat and 16 homers with another......with a similar high batting average will not cause a coach to walk away thinking any differently. He/she will walk away thinking “great hitter” in both circumstances.

How many college recruiters stay around to watch that many at bats?

I'm playing the opposition side on the argument here. I agree that good hitters are good hitters.

Oct 29, 2016
How many college recruiters stay around to watch that many at bats?

I'm playing the opposition side on the argument here. I agree that good hitters are good hitters.
Recruiters gather lots of info based on multiple games. So that they aren’t swayed by an anomaly......either a good one or a bad one. I do not believe a quality/college-level professional coach walks away thinking a kid doesn’t have what it takes to play at that school.........when In fact the kids talent is really just being hidden by a bad bat choice!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
This is utterly ridiculous, how do topics get off track, I don't understand :)

By the way, its just fun talking bats for a lot of people...that's why there are tons of threads everywhere about them. Not because most people think it will make their dd the next Bustos, Chamberlain or whoever. But finding one that their dd may love and hit better with (even if its only a little bit better with or maybe just a confidence boost with a new bat) or one they like better, that's the fun of the search. Some just love to hit new bats because its new and adds some excitement...that may be all there is to it.
I love to break out a new bat and hit bp anytime I get one. Bats just add more softball conversation and something else
we can all BS about inside of the sport.

Same with gloves, does AD think a glove will make him or his dd the next Ozzie Smith or make her twice the fieder, no, he appreciates
the workmanship and quality of a well made glove and seeing what sets one apart from another.
(although he may have a leather fetish too ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles