First-ever wounded warrior softball game slide show

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
With seasons getting under way it's easy to let emotions get the best of us and forget what it's all about. So I thought I'd pass along this link to an online slide show of the first-ever wounded warrior softball game, which was played at Hillenbrand Stadium in Tuscon, AZ.

This was a game pitting two teams of soldiers, veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts, who are recent amputees. I found out about it through the Candrea on Coaching emails I receive from Liberty Mutual's Responsible Coaching program.

The short version is Coach Candrea was approached about setting up the game, and he enthusiastically agreed. He also lined up Mizuno and Lousiville Slugger to provide uniforms, bats, gloves and more.

The game was played Friday, March 18 after the Arizona-Baylor game. Players from those teams acted as base coaches, and were there for support. When someone hit a home run, they all joined in the celebration at the plate.

We owe much to our veterans, not the least of which is our ability to spend our weekends in the sunshine coaching, watching or playing the game we love. Take a look at the slide show to see some true American heroes playing despite their disabilities. And be sure to thank a veteran when you see him or her.

More...

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
Ken,

Thank you so much for sharing that slideshow. Those are very powerful images. For all the discussing, teaching, and learning that occurs in this forum, seeing these veterans reminds us that softball is just a very small part in the grand scheme of this life. May God richly bless those that sacrifice so much to allow us the wonderful opportunity we have to live in a free country.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan