Fall ball vs school basketball - which comes first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
We have stressed to DD that HS sports take priority, if she wants to play a sport that is during TB she will need to go to the school sport first.

She is now a senior and the only HS sports she plays are Softball and Basketball because Basketball is in winter when there is no softball. She had to make a choice.

Jun 21, 2012
My DD runs Cross Country and plays TB. During her HS Cross Country season, Cross Country comes first. She has missed a few TB tournaments because of weekend meets. It is what it is. She goes to both practices some days.

As a HS Coach, I like my softball girls to be multi-sport athletes. I have seven of my varsity girls playing HS Field Hockey. So I make my fall ball program designed for incoming Freshman and the girls who don't play a fall sport. On days when when my field hockey girls aren't practicing or playing, they come out and throw and hit, but it is never mandatory for them.

You should consider which sport your DD could use to make it into college, or which sport she would want to play in college and work that sport as priority in schedule conflicts. We, my DD and I, spoke at great length about this and we also spoke about her time in HS, school spirit, friends, and her future sports en-devours. She wanted to be a good team player and support her HS, so we put that sport's season as priority in schedule conflicts.

Hope this helps.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
I think I have come to think the sport "in season" comes first. Therefore right now it would be her 7th grade school basketball team... since we are in "fall ball", we are not "in season". I like that concept!
Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors