Errors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Fielding PCT is better than errors/game, but it's still largely dependent on the positions that you play. Shortstops and third basemen can be expected to have lower fielding percentages than first basemen and outfielders.

F% is a better indicator than E/game, but it still can be misleading. Would you rather have a SS w/ 20 attempts and a F% of 90% or a SS w/ 15 attempts and a F% of 100%?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I just use FLD %... then it takes into account how many attempts. Say your SS leads the team in number of errors, but her fielding % is .950 would you even say anything?

Our TB team uses GameChanger for stats, and every time a first baseman catches a ball it is considered a "put out" and every time a batter strikes out the catcher is given credit for a "put out", so take those two positions fielding percentage with a grain of salt.

Also, according to "official" scoring guidelines, an outfielder taking a crappy angle on a fly ball and completely missing the ball is NOT an error on the outfielder, but a base hit given up by the pitcher.......so Timmy Lupus of the "Bad News Bears" had a .950% fielding percentage!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What would be a good percentage for a 3rd baseman? 15 years old

Still hard to give an answer. It depends partly on whether the scorekeeper grades hard or easy, or whether the scorekeeper knows how to score at all. Many don't have a good understanding of what constitutes a hit and an error. So the isolated .900 stat doesn't mean much.

This is the best answer I can give - The third baseman usually has the worst fielding PCT on the team. So if your DD's fielding PCT is close to the shortstop's or second baseman's, then she's doing as good a job at her position as they are at hers (in terms of limiting errors).

Looked up some SEC stats if this helps --

Georgia fielded .961 as a team. Their 3B (Anna Swafford) fielded .891
Tennessee fielded .974 as a team. Their 3B (Raven Chavanne) fielded .953
Alabama fielded .961 as a team. Their 3B (Conley) fielded .870.
Florida fielded .975. Their 3B (Stephanie Tofft) fielded .965.

So if your fielding PCT playing 3B is close to that of the team as a whole, that's very good. In every case above, the player had the worst or second-worst fielding PCT on the team among starters. That's b/c third basemen get the most difficult chances to play cleanly. How many throwing errors are there from second base? Or first? Third base is harder.

Mar 11, 2009
Here is the formula:Fielding percentage, is a measure that reflects the percentage of times a defensive player properly handles a batted or thrown ball. It is calculated by the sum of putouts and assists divided by the number of total chances (putouts + assists + errors).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
.. is a measure that reflects the percentage of times a defensive player properly handles a batted or thrown ball. ....

I'm sure you and everyone knows this, but just felt the need to be clear - These properly handled balls must be assists or putouts. Fielding a base hit to center field and throwing it accurately to an infielder does not count in statistics, or affect fielding percentage.

Oct 10, 2011
Still hard to give an answer. It depends partly on whether the scorekeeper grades hard or easy, or whether the scorekeeper knows how to score at all. Many don't have a good understanding of what constitutes a hit and an error. So the isolated .900 stat doesn't mean much.

This is the best answer I can give - The third baseman usually has the worst fielding PCT on the team. So if your DD's fielding PCT is close to the shortstop's or second baseman's, then she's doing as good a job at her position as they are at hers (in terms of limiting errors).

Looked up some SEC stats if this helps --

Georgia fielded .961 as a team. Their 3B (Anna Swafford) fielded .891
Tennessee fielded .974 as a team. Their 3B (Raven Chavanne) fielded .953
Alabama fielded .961 as a team. Their 3B (Conley) fielded .870.
Florida fielded .975. Their 3B (Stephanie Tofft) fielded .965.

So if your fielding PCT playing 3B is close to that of the team as a whole, that's very good. In every case above, the player had the worst or second-worst fielding PCT on the team among starters. That's b/c third basemen get the most difficult chances to play cleanly. How many throwing errors are there from second base? Or first? Third base is harder.

Thank you...this helps a lot. I know the scorekeeper is pretty hard from what the HC says and apparently questions her decisions fairly often. I don't know if she would tell me how any of the others did.