Erin's New Vid 14 Years now

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Well thought I would post a new video of my DD she turned 14 yesterday. We have been pitching 3 times a week only, she started basketball 3 weeks ago so not allot of time. Anyway we have been working on getting the arm to 9 o'clock at heel plant, still not quite there but getting better. If you any thoughts they would be more than welcome. She is now 5'8"/ 145# and in the eighth grade. Thanks for all the great knowledge here.
YouTube - Erin-RockerStyle

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A couple of general comments about the video. First, we need a view of the back also. Second, the clip should be longer...perhaps two or three pitches. I can't stop the video to see her arm and hand position at 12-3-6, so I can't do any captures.

Here is what I see:

(1) Her right shoulder is staying parallel with the ground throughout the pitch. The right shoulder should be up at 12, and down at 6. Dropping the shoulder extends the length of the whip by 4 to 6 inches, so this can result in some speed increase.

b9c1bc1943e04ac9bf4d746224d7a7a9.jpg

d845dcbbfa0248628e93954e4c60ed9e.jpg

(2) Your DD appears to be bending to the left when she pitches. Get behind her and look at her head position. If your can get her shoulder down at release, she will have to lean a little to the right, not the left.

(3) She is pulling her arm down after release. If she is pulling her arm down after release, then she is slowing her arm down before release. The preferred approach is to simply let the arm go. But, you have to break her of this habit of pulling the arm down. Therefore, as a *TEMPORARY* fix, encourage her to finish high with her right hand.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
sluggers, thanks for the comments as usual. I will take a video of her from behind in the next few days and post it. Is there anyway I can post the video without actually giving a link to youtube that you know of? I agree with the shoulder staying level also, it is something she is having trouble with. We will fix the arm pulling down after release also. Thanks again, it is very much appreciated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to videos, you might want to try a file sharing site such as Share files, calendars & photos online for free | KeepandShare or Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire. Then, you post the link to the video in the message. Generally, I prefer share.ovi.com to youtube.com.

The shoulder problem is somewhat common. In order to do the shoulder drop, the hips have to lead the shoulders. The best way to describe it is that her hips should move to the left like she is holding a baby on her left hip.

There is a drill called "the bump" drill. There is a thread about the the bump drill on this site that is pretty good. Take a look at it and have your DD do some of those drills.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
lets try this

Thanks sluggers, maybe this is better
http://share.ovi.com/media/bwalk1963.ErinPitchingVid/bwalk1963.10001<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=bwalk1963.10001&albumname=bwalk1963.ErinPitchingVid" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In this last video, you get a real good look at the shoulder angle. Her right shoulder is higher, instead of lower.

I will let someone talk about this, since it has already been brought up, but I don't let my students slap their thigh, because of this and other reasons (I am seeing overuse problems in the glove hand/wrist, that I haven't seen in non slappers.)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The good news is she has the same bend that Osterman has. The bad news is that Osterman is a lefty and your DD is a righty.

e8160c3b38b84500a50a0349d840b838.jpg

9dd69f3b67eb469993866542c3f8edb3.jpg

What your DD is doing is "dragging the ball". She kept her hips open (YEAH!), but she is closed her upper body (BOO!). She likely doesn't quite know how to navigate her arm around her more mature body, so she leans to the right to avoid the problem.

What she has to do is drop the right shoulder, bump the hips out, and have a lean in the opposite direction.

She needs to do the bump drill with the ball about a million times. She has the size and strength to be pretty good. I think it would be time well spent.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Thanks for the advice sluggers, am I understanding you correctly when you say "so she leans to the right to avoid the problem" that as we look at her she is leaning to our right? So her left shoulder is down? One other question if you get a chance sometime. I have noticed when watching the front view that her stride leg crosses over the power line could this be part of the problem? Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207