Erasing batting box lines?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
I see so many batters that look like they purposely try and erase the lines in the box. Watching TN vs AL and I've seen it a couple times. I'm assuming there is no rule against this, but why wouldn't there be?

May 29, 2015
You mean something like this rule?

NCAA
2.20.3 Team representatives, personnel and players shall not intentionally remove, or cover with infield material, any required lines on the field nor intentionally cover the pitcher’s plate or home plate.

EFFECT—The ball is dead. A strike shall be called on the batter if the offense violates the rule, and a ball shall be awarded to the batter if the defense violates the rule. In addition, the umpire shall issue a warning to the offending team. Subsequent violation by the same team shall result in an ejection of the offender. (Behavioral ejection; see Rule 13.2.1.)

Note: A batter may not be intentionally walked by violating Rule 2.20.3.

Jan 8, 2019
Saw this ina HS game a week or two ago. Two batters into the game, and the line was GONE. From the front of the box to the back! That team spent the rest of the game crowding the plate and had three HBP.

It was not even our game, and I was frustrated for the other team. No calls on erasing the line, and the strike zone seemed to push outside the closer their batters got to the plate.

Feb 13, 2018
You mean something like this rule?

NCAA
2.20.3 Team representatives, personnel and players shall not intentionally remove, or cover with infield material, any required lines on the field nor intentionally cover the pitcher’s plate or home plate.

EFFECT—The ball is dead. A strike shall be called on the batter if the offense violates the rule, and a ball shall be awarded to the batter if the defense violates the rule. In addition, the umpire shall issue a warning to the offending team. Subsequent violation by the same team shall result in an ejection of the offender. (Behavioral ejection; see Rule 13.2.1.)

Note: A batter may not be intentionally walked by violating Rule 2.20.3.
Yeah, just like that! So, is it ever enforced??

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
A few years back in a HS game ... The first batter came out and stood there making it completely obvious the she was scratching and kicking out the front line of her batters box ... I requested time from the plate Umpire who was standing there watching it happen and asked to speak to him ... (In his defense he was an older gentleman that I had never seen before at games or clinics) ... He denied that there was any such rule about erasing lines in NFHS ... He made another couple obvious mistakes in the game but I never saw him again that year or since ... In our area like many other areas they are having trouble getting Umpires and I suspect our UIC was trying to recruit some guys from the past to come back out.

May 29, 2015
It is an odd and obscure rule, so I can't point to any good reason for an umpire to know it beyond ... well, I'm a rules nerd.

I've never penalized anybody for it. I have told batters not to do it, then made them laugh when I wiped out the poorly drawn line. The power of being an umpire. 🤗

Dec 11, 2010
Have seen an ump take a bat and redraw a “line” for these miscreants, lol

If you watch enough softball you will see pitchers cover the rubber with just enough dirt to camouflage whatever illegal thing they do with their feet. That should be an instant “Look At My Feet” for an umpire.

May 13, 2023
As a catcher, after a batter would erase the front line and then start getting into their ready position into the box. At times I would stand up and step forward and yell to my team amount of outs and/or encouragement yell, and with my foot draw a slight line on where the front line was. (Discreetly Drawing the Line not like an obvious thing to do.)

Several things came of that.
1. Umpires had said thank you.
2. Some batters didn't notice.
3. Others did notice and some would try to make eye contact with me. While I kept a Mandalorian face through my mask.
4. Some batters would try to erase the foot line I drew and then umpires would step in and intervene with redrawing the line themself.
5. Getting in the batter's head! 😏😉

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad