Enforcing the rules v. impacting the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
If there is a stutter step, it means there's a slight pause, and that slight pause is where the second push happens. By laws of physics, with the front foot in the air, and a pause with the back foot, there has to be a second push.

Totally agree. That is exactly what i found in video too. If that pivot foot pauses...it pushes off again...therefore is a replant...and is a crow hop.

The dirt...shows the signs.

Leaping is easy to see and easy to detect in the dirt because of lack of drag mark. I watched one ump...watch a pitcher closely that leaped every single pitch. Someone asked him about it and he watched her warm up...each time was a leap. He shook his head no...and never called it.

I wanted to ask him, with her being a leap/drag pitcher...how there could be no drag mark after she pitched...but figured if he couldn't see the 3 inches of air under her pivot foot...it was probably a useless endeavor. :)

Jun 11, 2010
My guess is, he did see it. Umpires don't want the confrontation. Potentially from the coach and/or the parent. Over the years I've heard all of the (invalid) excuses by umpires: "She's not gaining an advantage" {where is that in the rule book?]. "It's only a little leap" {Officer, I only took a little money}. "Your pitcher does it too" {no she doesn't}. "She's not that fast, what's the big deal" {How about we play by the rules?} "At this level she's still developing" {Exactly why it should be called}. "She hasn't been called all year, I'm not about to call her on it." {Just because other umpires haven't done their job, doesn't mean you shouldn't}

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan