End of first year pitching. Feedback/critique appreciated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2018
U12 DD started pitching just over a year ago. Started teaching her IR from the get go and she has been an absolute rockstar! People ate blown away with how good she is for how long she's been pitching. The difference between her and other pitchers with the HE style is night and day

Looking for feed back on what to work on this off season. Staying tall and stacked is obviously priority. What do you guys think?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks good for her age.

a) Front side resistance....she shouldn't be stepping toward the catcher after she throws.
b) You need to video her from 2B and check out if she is "monkey butting".. It looks she is sticking out her rear end to avoid her arm from brushing her right hip as she throws. She is twisting. Check out her left foot...she rotates it after release.
c) She isn't get the hand turned over during the release....so, she is only getting about 50% of the benefits from the forearm pronation.

Attached are images of Sam Show and Sarah Pauly. Notice the position of the hand after release.

Apr 28, 2019
U12 DD started pitching just over a year ago. Started teaching her IR from the get go and she has been an absolute rockstar! People ate blown away with how good she is for how long she's been pitching. The difference between her and other pitchers with the HE style is night and day

Looking for feed back on what to work on this off season. Staying tall and stacked is obviously priority. What do you guys think?

I think she has good form for 12U. Nice leg drive and stride. I would focus on consistency and adding a pitch depending on what she throws now. Fastball, change-up, curve would be my 1st 3 pitches to master.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Rather than "fully pronated arm", it helps to refer to the arm position by these names:

1) Princess Arm (hand is turned over so the Prince can kiss the back of the hand).
2) Magician Arm (if your DD is a Harry Potter fan)
3) Zombie Arm (if your DD likes The Walking Dead)14353

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
You can do a lot with FSR here. You will be surprised how much more speed you will get from that.
As Sluggers mentioned the pronation could be better. That will get you speed and spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
@sluggers yeah no need to check from behind she is definitely not in the proper position at release "monkey butt" or whatever you want to call it.

I think once you show and explain and then get her to feel the proper position at release which is not the slightly hunched over and butt out position but is instead tall and straight she should be able to self correct with a simply cue like stand tall. I've attached a still for comparison.

All in all she is doing a lot of good stuff. Video her from the side (this is out in front as little) as well as behind notice Amanda at release you can draw a straight line from the top back of her head to the back of her kneemyrah release.PNGstraightamanda.png

Oct 4, 2018
Looks great. FSR is what immediately jumped out to me.

I'd give my common piece of advice of turning this over to a professional. We dads can work our butts off and read everything we can find but (usually) can't get to the level of a professional. It might be the last piece of the puzzle to really vault to the next level.

Apr 25, 2018
Thanks everyone! Will definatley be working with some FSR drills and staying tall. Anyone have any good drills for establishing better FSR?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K