Electronic communication

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2024
At my DG TB game, USA Softball. I was watching the 3rd base coach on his phone, I assumed he was using a stats app of some kind. Then I noticed every time he would get on off his phone the first base coach would take out his phone and do some tapping and then the 3rd base coach would take out his phone look and nod. This went on for the entire game. My wife pointed out the if it was a stat app they would be entering after every offensive play, they were not. I don't think this changed the outcome of the game. I just am curios of the legality.

Aug 5, 2022
Alternatively they could scream their calls to each other across the field. What do you think they were doing? Stealing signs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2024
I am not accusing them of anything. Maybe they are in a group text planning a BBQ. I am curios about electronic devices used for communication on offense. I suppose they could be sign stealing, I doubt that. I would expect that they have hand signs for their plays instead of screaming.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
USA RS 11:

"Communication / electronic devices, including audio / video equipment, are not allowed on the playing field. Head phones and ear phones have been used by coaches to communicate from one coaches’ box to the other, to communicate between coaches and the dugout, and from the stands to the dugout. Signs and signals have been stolen while outside the field of play, stands or the outfield area and communicated to coaches or players. Therefore, umpires must prohibit any use of such equipment. Electronic scorebooks, however, are permitted for use by base coaches."

Feb 16, 2024
USA RS 11:

"Communication / electronic devices, including audio / video equipment, are not allowed on the playing field. Head phones and ear phones have been used by coaches to communicate from one coaches’ box to the other, to communicate between coaches and the dugout, and from the stands to the dugout. Signs and signals have been stolen while outside the field of play, stands or the outfield area and communicated to coaches or players. Therefore, umpires must prohibit any use of such equipment. Electronic scorebooks, however, are permitted for use by base coaches."
I thought that was the rule. With all that a smart phone does, it is hard to tell if that is an electronic scorebook. Thanks

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
As my kids would say, those Snapchat streaks don't maintain themselves. :) (don't ask me what that means. I'm old and it won't click...no matter how many times they have tried to explain it)

Jun 18, 2023
I thought that was the rule. With all that a smart phone does, it is hard to tell if that is an electronic scorebook. Thanks

gamechanger has a chat feature. Even if anyone was to call someone this, they could just show them the screen and be fine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy