Drive to practice, Taylor Swift, & good hugs from mom/dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
Love the 30 minute drive each way to my daughter's practice. It gives us a chance to talk about the day/life of a 12 year old...just she and I. Yesterday, after discussing her school day, she started talking about a couple of problems she is having with pitching. Then we discussed her hitting...too many quirks to mention. These items seemed so stressful for her...making her head spin, that we just started to laugh. Thank goodness the new Taylor Swift song came on for US to sing along to.

My point is there seems to always be something to work on in this sport. Once they finally stop dropping that back shoulder, then they may start flying open too soon. We need to be supportive & not overwhelm them because it's just a game. If they don't like it, they may not play it.

Hug your daughter today...and everyday. After a tough day on the diamond, a smile & hug may be just what keeps them going.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I couldn't agree more!!! I LOVE 1-on-1 pitching practices and drives to and from practice with DD. Now that she is nearly 17, conversations are quite a bit different than when she was 12.

Last night we were talking about the leadership club at her school. One of the committees went over budget on a project and caused the club to be very short on cash for homecoming. I love to hear how she thinks and what she thinks should be done and who should do it.

Later last night we were talking about the political conventions and what she thought about them. We had a fabulous, thoughtful and sometimes heated conversation.

I am a very lucky man to have a good relationship with both of my DD’s (17 and 23). I am glad DW and I immersed ourselves in our kid’s lives and enjoyed watching them grow into beautiful, smart young ladies.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Elamber, Did you tell her that you are discussing her BO on the website? :) Oh, and that we determined that she isn't on birth control and that she does wear clean clothes. I may need to text her.

Apr 1, 2010
I discovered that I actually like several Taylor Swift songs. Who woulda thunk it? DD and I had really been enjoying listening to Adele last year, but the radio stations completely overplayed her and we got burned out. We also like to listen to the Harry Potter series; they are done very well!

The drives have given me a great chance to talk with my 12 year old--it isn't always so easy!

LOL, Amy, thanks for the chuckle! DD once came on and read something I'd posted about her slow running speed. She was not amused. For the record, should she see this, she was not the slowest runner on her previous team nor is she the slowest runner on her new team. ;-)

May 18, 2012
Arizona
Elamber, Did you tell her that you are discussing her BO on the website? :) Oh, and that we determined that she isn't on birth control and that she does wear clean clothes. I may need to text her.

Holy crap, I'm dying here!! Hahaha Bite your tongue, Amy!!! I will deny deny deny!! (I should run for political office).

Jun 24, 2009
Love the 30 minute drive each way to my daughter's practice. It gives us a chance to talk about the day/life of a 12 year old...just she and I. Yesterday, after discussing her school day, she started talking about a couple of problems she is having with pitching. Then we discussed her hitting...too many quirks to mention. These items seemed so stressful for her...making her head spin, that we just started to laugh. Thank goodness the new Taylor Swift song came on for US to sing along to.

My point is there seems to always be something to work on in this sport. Once they finally stop dropping that back shoulder, then they may start flying open too soon. We need to be supportive & not overwhelm them because it's just a game. If they don't like it, they may not play it.

Hug your daughter today...and everyday. After a tough day on the diamond, a smile & hug may be just what keeps them going.
I would not trade anything for the 1 1/2 drive to pitching lessons every thursday evening. Good to hear that I'm not the only one having fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand