Drag foot action at release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Disclaimer: this post is not about crow hopping or being "skippy"

In analyzing DD's footwork during abduction and whip snap/release, I am noticing she is still dragging her foot. In thinking about the need to transfer energy during the release phase, I am wondering if there is a preferred action for the foot to allow either for the stabilization of the body or energy transfer. Perhaps this would improve the act of abduction.

Looking at this video, this pitcher has a foot kick. http://youtu.be/KKL56jCzluU
In watching other pitchers, it seems as if they get extra force/umph from some form of kick out.

What is the optimal foot action?

For reference, DD maintains contact during her entire foot drag.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Every time I try to repost the link it crashes my link to the site. :(

Update: I think I fixed it.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Without being able to see the video are you talking about the figure 4 with the back foot? Not sure where I got that term.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Just get the pivot/drag foot on Pointe (big toe nail only) no later than the T position. This will get the hips in propper alignment to achieve brush contact and amplify her accuracy, spin, and speed

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Disclaimer: this post is not about crow hopping or being "skippy"

In analyzing DD's footwork during abduction and whip snap/release, I am noticing she is still dragging her foot. In thinking about the need to transfer energy during the release phase, I am wondering if there is a preferred action for the foot to allow either for the stabilization of the body or energy transfer. Perhaps this would improve the act of abduction.

Looking at this video, this pitcher has a foot kick.In watching other pitchers, it seems as if they get extra force/umph from some form of kick out.

1.gif

What is the optimal foot action?

For reference, DD maintains contact during her entire foot drag.

I was taught tongue's to target... the one in your mouth & on your cleats :p

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What is the optimal foot action? For reference, DD maintains contact during her entire foot drag.

My DD is working on pulling her drag foot into the back of her plant leg calf muscle on her follow through. To practice this her pitching instructor attaches a dog squeaky toy to the top of her drag foot with Velcro and she has to make the toy squeak during her follow through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach