Does anyone do an analysis of softball bats with actual data?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
I don't think they've made an equivalent of the iron Byron in golf for softball.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 8, 2009
Florida
Dr. Russel from Penn State has does some amazing research on acoustic and bending properties of bats, which translate to the performance.

Jun 8, 2016
Something measuring Young's modulus in one form or another. Hopefully over different forces levels with different angles of impact at different bat locations.
Why Young's modulus? What sort of information (that would be useful to a buyer) are you looking for from that data or are you actually trying to put together a computational/mathematical model of a bat yourself..;)

If you think that that sort of information will help determine failure properties(delamination, fracture,etc) I am afraid it isn't nearly that simple.

Last edited:
May 8, 2009
Florida
There is a lot of research out there on different aspects of sports equipment including bats. I think the first question you need to answer is what are you trying to measure?

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Why Young's modulus? What sort of information (that would be useful to a buyer) are you looking for from that data or are you actually trying to put together a computational/mathematical model of a bat yourself..;)

If you think that that sort of information will help determine failure properties(delamination, fracture,etc) I am afraid it isn't nearly that simple.
You do not need a direct value for Young's modulus just some way for you to tell if one bat is better than another at certain speeds/forces. The best I can tell we have a sea of anecdotal information.

I am sure when the bats are certified they are doing testing this controlled testing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma