Do players need to watch where they hit the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
My assistant coach insisted to me recently that he likes using wiffle balls for batting warmup before a game and practice because the girls get to build confidence seeing where they hit them...and further that he really doesn't like hitting in a cage for that same reason.

I am not sure I agree, I think that when a player makes contact she needs to be firing out of the batters box even if she hit a foul ball...after all, that is one reason the umpire is there, to let her know. In baseball you watch where you hit it and the next pitch you receive is in your earhole, this is what I am used to...but these are 12u girls.

This is a seemingly small thing, but it squashed a decision I made to use our 'sandballs' for full swing practice and contact in close quarters and before games. He and I are still getting used to working together...both being head coaches in the past. :D

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My assistant coach insisted to me recently that he likes using wiffle balls for batting warmup before a game and practice because the girls get to build confidence seeing where they hit them...and further that he really doesn't like hitting in a cage for that same reason.

I am not sure I agree, I think that when a player makes contact she needs to be firing out of the batters box even if she hit a foul ball...after all, that is one reason the umpire is there, to let her know. In baseball you watch where you hit it and the next pitch you receive is in your earhole, this is what I am used to...but these are 12u girls.

This is a seemingly small thing, but it squashed a decision I made to use our 'sandballs' for full swing practice and contact in close quarters and before games. He and I are still getting used to working together...both being head coaches in the past. :D

I hate the wiffle balls, they tend to curve unrealistically, particularly if its windy, and often promote lunging. The batter should hit the ball and run - the umpires and base coaches will tell her when to stop running. Maybe the TCB balls as a substitute for your sandbags would make head coach #2 happier. And good luck, there can only be one head coach so pick your battles wisely.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I agree with your assistant. The feedback they get seeing the result is very positive. Nets mask marginal hits. The TCS balls give a pretty good indication of the quality of the hit.

Mar 13, 2010
Now maybe it's just me but I know where every single ball I hit goes. It doesn't stop me running to first or listening to coaches but I still know where the ball is.

Knowing where the ball is while still running is a great skill to have.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I agree Lozza, however some of the girls seem to be watching ESPN for the highlights instead of running hard. Those same girls will also pull up when they see the ball go to an infielder, assuming an out. MANY times, those girls only miss being safe by a step, which with a head down run, they would have made it.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Use the TCB balls. They are the best thing out there if you want the girls to get feedback on their hitting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure a Player can perform a nice complete swing without watching where they hit the ball, when their shoulders turn their head will turn toward the field of play too. I do not want the Player staring at the ball but they will naturally see where it goes.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Ask your coach are you stronger with your head up or down. Those that watch where they hit the ball are stealing power at contact. It is very easy to prove this to him. This is one of the first things I show a new student.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Get them to understand they are stronger with the head down during contact and that once they hit the ball RUN! DO NOT LOOK....RUN! Is what I read and have test with my DD.Read through the post for the test on how to prove this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafeli