Defending the 1st & 3rd timing play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Got burned the other day. 2 outs, runners on the corners. I call one of our 1st & 3rd plays (with 2 outs I called for the throw to 2B to get the runner). Well the opposing coach called the timing play and we defended it poorly. Didn't get an out, and they scored.

What are some defensive tactics on this?

Jun 24, 2013
It depends on what inning it is and what the score is, so lots of things in play: Also you didn't mention age group so it diiffers with age and ability.
One tactic would be to load the bases by intentionally walking the batter, then every bag becomes a force out. In the case of DTS, the catcher just steps on home.
Another would be not to go for the steal put out attempt. I am assuming steal play, so let them have second. You still have the force at first to end the inning.
I usually concede second in that scenario. The chances of getting the out are not worth the chances of them scoring.
We do have a "trick" play we call sometimes if we are going to attempt to get an out in that scenario (like their best hitter is coming to the plate, or they are getting ready to have the strong part of their line up come up to bat). We have our catcher come up like she is throwing to second, only to have our SS sneaking up closer to the pitcher to intercept the throw and return it straight to home where the catcher is awaiting the throw. We practice this a lot and have been successful a few times on getting the tag at home. You have to have a super aware SS and catcher combo to make this work. Also 2B has to sell the cover of the bag. You might even throw in a few defensive "coaching" directions to convince the team you are going to second, like " Short you cover 3rd in case of an overthrow to 3rd on the pick off, 2B you have got 2nd on the steal, They are going to steal, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE THERE! CF you are backing up 2nd, BE THERE!!"

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We have our catcher come up like she is throwing to second, only to have our SS sneaking up closer to the pitcher to intercept the throw and return it straight to home where the catcher is awaiting the throw.

We use this on occasion and it has a pretty good success rate. The key is not to use it too often, or the "surprise" wont work.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We have all those 1st / 3rd plays. I called for the throw going all the way to 2nd (2 outs), the opposing coach got me and called the timing play.

I am thinking that if that situation happens again, as soon as the SS realizes that the BR from 1st stopped and is trying to get into a pickle, is to throw it back to the pitcher in the circle, if she cannot tag the runner immediately. Then we can decide which runner to try and get out.

We are talking 16's here.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA