DD having trouble pulling the triger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
Recently my DD is having a problem pulling the trigger on balls she used to crush, now, she sits like a deer caught in headlights and then swings lazely at a 3rd strike. I have talked with her after the games and ask what is going on, and she doesn't say anything out of the ordinary. I ask about the location and she says they were right there for the taking. She has only started doing this since joining a travelball team and the coach is telling her to get her toes on the line. Yes, same coach. I just tell her to stay in her spot, relax and have fun. But, I think with the coach in the background she is getting too much in her head.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sounds like she is over thinking, because the 3B coach wont shut up long enough for her to make her own corrections. Nothing screws up timing like a coach who wont be quiet! Tell her to k.i.s.s. (keep it simple and stupid) see the ball, hit the ball

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am going to introduce my DD’s problems into your thread.

DD hardly ever strikes out. I am trying to convince her that I would rather she hit a hard out or strike out then a weak ball that she can beat out for a base hit. I don’t care if she strikes out, just would like her to hit the ball hard. I am losing. I think she can hit the ball hard and not strike out too often if she would not be afraid of striking out.

Go up there and hit the crap out of the ball.

Oct 25, 2009
Recently my DD is having a problem pulling the trigger on balls she used to crush, now, she sits like a deer caught in headlights and then swings lazely at a 3rd strike. I have talked with her after the games and ask what is going on, and she doesn't say anything out of the ordinary. I ask about the location and she says they were right there for the taking. She has only started doing this since joining a travelball team and the coach is telling her to get her toes on the line. Yes, same coach. I just tell her to stay in her spot, relax and have fun. But, I think with the coach in the background she is getting too much in her head.

I used to tell my DD, "no guts, no glory." Don't be afraid to fail. Failure is the only thing that is guaranteed. Without failure there can be no success.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
0 strike - look only for your favorite pitch and be ready for it

1 strike - swing HARD at anything below the letters and not in the dirt

2 strikes - Make contact on anything you can reach.

That might get her swinging more freely.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Is the DD having this trouble the pitcher or the catcher?

My DD is a pitcher and has struggled with this on and off. When she is in the batters box she will sometimes think like a pitcher and not a batter, she has a very good on base percentage because of it but doesn't get as many hits as she might... ...because she is thinking like a pitcher... if that all makes sense...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

You can’t "pull the trigger" if there is nothing to pull the trigger on.

If you want to be "sudden" then you will benefit from having a stretch-and-fire triggered launch.

When you say she sits like a "deer caught in the headlights", I envision a hitter that lacks ‘stretch’ and the setup for a stretch-and-fire triggered launch.

When you say she swings lazily, you add further confirmation that SnF is absent as well as the accompanied suddenness.

Check your daughter’s sequence against the sequence of the best hitters. The odds are good that it doesn't match up. Clean up the sequence. Learn what SnF is. Embed SnF into your daughter’s swing … and when SnF is embedded into her swing, then the issue with a lack of suddenness will be resolved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321