Crazy stuff people teach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ken's "crazy stuff people teach about hitting" got me thinking about all the other crazy stuff people teach.

Atlantabell made mention toward "not expecting to learn a lot at a college camp." I take it a step farther, don't expect the college coaches know anything. A d1 AC told dd she needed to stop catching "baseball style". She wanted her stance feet under her butt up on her toes. She was commenting something about "daddy's teaching what they think....." (I don't know for sure, she mummbled in a condescending manner). I said she had been to NECC clinic learning, and had to describe what that was (a basically said they train catchers around the U.S everyday of the year), she mumbled something. Few minutes later she complained about something else, I said "thats the way Megan Willis teaches and dd liked." A little later it was something else, and Dd said "I got that from a Megan Willis clinic too." AC mumbled something else and rolled her eyes. I said "what did you say!?" AC said "well it sounds like this money hunter you are taking her to lessons doesn't know what she is talking about." Me: "Megan Willis?" Her: "whoever?" Me:"You don't know who Megan Willis is? Team USA? USSSA Pride National Pro Softball? UT Longhorns? Catches for Cat Osterman?"

I told dd after session "forget everything she just said, there is no baseball vs softball style catching.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
If she don't know who MW is, and doesn't prefer Diamond,Skilz,& Miken products, and is not a friend on FB with her... then I would check into having DD hypnotized to be sure she has every bit of this encounter erased.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If she don't know who MW is, and doesn't prefer Diamond,Skilz,& Miken products, and is not a friend on FB with her... then I would check into having DD hypnotized to be sure she has every bit of this encounter erased.

Do I win? I joke, I kid, I couldn't resist.
See what I did here?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I made 2 mistakes over the years ( prob more but these 2 stick out ).

First when DD was 9 I took her to a well known PC in the area hoping to get some advice as we were new to pitching. I'd been working in pitching with DD for a couple of years and "figured" some professional help might be useful. Big mistake, PC was making DD take these HUGE strides and HE. Did lessons for less than a month and never went to a PC again.

Next in 2008 a D1 was doing a hitting camp, so we sent our TB team for the "experience". Another stupid move. They were teaching something they called "lock and load". ( it was a load alright, a load of BS ) Took us half a summer to get those mechanics fixed that they destroyed over a weekend camp.

Nov 29, 2009
Had a parent tell me a daddy coach wanted his catchers on passed balls to run back to the screen to the ball. They were to stand and keep their back to the plate. He wanted them to bend over, pick the ball up and throw the ball to the pitcher through their legs.

Jan 24, 2011
My DD (14) has been to a few DI college camps. I will say that I have seen some crazy things (mostly from the smaller D1 schools). But she has also been to a couple that were really good and she did learn a thing or two. She loves the University of Tennessee Christmas camp and has been for the past 3 years. At the end of November , she will be attending a University of Georgia Hitting camp. I like the way it is set up. I will report back later with a review on this one.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My DD (14) has been to a few DI college camps. I will say that I have seen some crazy things (mostly from the smaller D1 schools). But she has also been to a couple that were really good and she did learn a thing or two. She loves the University of Tennessee Christmas camp and has been for the past 3 years. At the end of November , she will be attending a University of Georgia Hitting camp. I like the way it is set up. I will report back later with a review on this one.

Good subject for another thread! Dw is telling me I need to BUDGET (her new favorite word) for the kids sports camps. I know Ms. Dinosaur and I guy I work with said Mizzou camps are great.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I think all of these stories and I could add one myself, have hit on a broader issue. Parents and players need to educate themselves. This site as we all know is an absolute god send for people who have an ACTIVE interest in the sport. We as parents are our children's coaches. Do we know more or learned more than the "experts" I think at least sometimes we all know the answer is yes. I am happy to report that we have finally found a PC that knows her stuff and for the first time if somebody asked I would happily refer another player to this person.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Do I win? I joke, I kid, I couldn't resist.
See what I did here?

Not getting it rdbass???

I have DD pick players so we can watch them, games and Their stuff on Y-tube.... Npf streams games, and she likes USSSA Pride. Pretty good deal... she's doing the book,score keeping as we watch. She also likes to watch the stats played out on Game Trax... She asked me if I could do that too... I'm working on it, here is the rough draft.... I'm going to make squares for each roster # ect. We are going to do it for last weekends game...

Plan.... Z - YouTube

Jul 9, 2012
Mizzou camp is fantastic, redhot. Coach E walking through three lectures for an hour each on hitting, then doing a video analysis of your daughters swing is worth the price of the entire camp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd