College Roster Sizes, sorry some of you don't get to go with us~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
DD's former college (D3)teammate is taking her 5th year at a D1 school for her graduate degree. They played Tennessee, Texas, Michigan State, Arkansas, Wichita State. Imagine going from pitching to D3 batters to P5 batters in less than a year!
Great journey!

May 13, 2023
As always DFP'ers come through in flying colors with excellent feedback on the mega roster situation!

Within my post was something that stands out to me because it is a topic that doesn't really get talked about too much and it is

There is a list of players that don't get to go.

🤔 sorta like finding out weekly if you're actually on the team or not.
That has to be a difficult thing!

While I do understand all the added help players bring to the seasons those individual players are still dealing with the weekly list. Difficult to be a college athlete!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Was there an injury or do you mean she didn't know how to throw overhand?
My DD reminded me of another player who trying to return from a knee injury that never saw the field. The first girl had an on going injury that she never recovered from. I think from the previous year. Both players were Srs.

Patty Gasso seems to do fine carrying a roster of 20 girls (+ or -) every season. Sure she could carry 25 or 30 if she just wanted extra girls to shag balls or clean up the practice field.

UW is a Top 10 team with 17 girls on their roster.
This ^^^^^ - there's no reason to carry a massive roster. My daughter plays at a D1 school w/ a roster of 29. Nine of those girls don't get to travel. She gets to travel but there's a weekly pawn play by the coaches on who gets the last few travel spots. I would consider any softball roster of 22+ as a red flag.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Patty Gasso seems to do fine carrying a roster of 20 girls (+ or -) every season. Sure she could carry 25 or 30 if she just wanted extra girls to shag balls or clean up the practice field.

UW is a Top 10 team with 17 girls on their roster.
OU also does a great job of keeping those players in shape and nutritionist to feed them to help with injury avoidance. I say this while Hansen is injured. She also has a stable of pitchers that go the distance 3 times a weekend if needed. OU also has its fair share of transfer outs and transfer ins.

Feb 7, 2014
I can't imagine being on a roster, suiting up for games, and never seeing the field. This is a game that they've played for most of their life, and their remaining time left playing is rather short. I can't imagine that would be very fulfilling.
Well said !

Most of the games I watch are on the other end of the spectrum... just enough kids to field a team and no matter how poor the play there's no chance of losing your 'spot.' :confused:

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
22 players seem like a max number. That would include a couple of pitchers and a couple of catchers that know and accept they are there for throwing BP and catching bullpens and just want to be part of the team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad