Coach lights one up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
My daughter started a travel team and at our practice today I noticed that the head coach lite up a cigarette off to the third base side of the field?? yes practice was still going on and yes there were other parents around as well. As a parent I felt I should have said something, or better yet should I pull my daughter off the team for having to deal with something like that??

Any ideas on what should be done about this?? Or is this legal on a "travel team"

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
I feel pulling your DD is a bit extreme, perhaps talking with the coach would be a good first step.

You are not "dealing" with anything. The coach was smoking outside. I would ask him not too, because there are kids there.

I know it is against our league rules, but if it isn't against yours, change them. There is nothing illegal about smoking outside.

It is not right to smoke around kids but pulling your kid makes you "that" parent right away.

Jun 21, 2010
A lot of coaches smoke. A lot of coaches don't. Just because a coach smokes doesn't mean your kid will smoke and it doesn't mean your kid will get sick from it. It's not the greatest example to set but your daughter is there primarily to learn softball from the coach, not whether she should be smoking or not. That lesson comes from home.

Pulling someone from a team because a coach smokes is very extreme but of course that is your prerogative.

May 31, 2009
I am definitely against anyone smoking around kids in any organized event. If I were you, I wouldn't pull your DD, but would first talk to other parents and see how they feel about it. If they feel the same as you, then you all go talk to the coach (in a pleasant manner) as a group. If coach still chooses to smoke around the kids, then you all ask him to step down, or threaten to pull your kids...JMO

Jul 26, 2010
The rules should prohibit the use of alcohol and tobacco by parents/players/coaches at all events, including practices. It's really easy to amend the general rules of your league or organization to state this if it was neglected for whatever reason.

Yes, this includes fund raisers.

-W

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
My DD had an assistant coach that smoked. It was an 18 gold team though. It's a bad habit but I wouldn't pull my kid from a team because of it. It's every parents choice what to do in this situation.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Did he walk away and take a few puffs or was he working with the girls, while he was smoking? I can't stand cigarette smoke on someone, so I wouldn't want to be around him, myself.

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
The rule in my League. Basically no tobacco use on any field at any time. Parents, coaches, or others.

1-7 Smoking:
Smoking or use of any tobacco products by any member of the BGSA is not allowed on the field.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Did he walk away and take a few puffs or was he working with the girls, while he was smoking? I can't stand cigarette smoke on someone, so I wouldn't want to be around him, myself.

he was on the dirt instructing them while he was smoking. Even thought majority of the girls were near second and first doing fly drills. Personally I think it was unprofessional of him to do that?? As far as pulling my dd out, wasnt really sure on that, just threw it out there as an example of what to do from an extreme measure stand point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA