Chelsea Thomas Injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As has been stated on this board, overuse injuries can occur over years of work. Some can pitch 4 games a day in travel ball and their injuries don't appear for a few years. Others are done by the time that they are 16. We could name numerous D1 teams, with their #1 pitcher, either out for the season or on a very limited pitch count.

The money making tournaments where girls play numerous games a day, are not very friendly to an athlete's arm.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Gosh, I want to make a comment here. Won't since this young lady has nothing to do with an ongoing self promotion on this site.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
C. Thomas is a beast out there and Mizzu is in big trouble if she's out...
I'm really surprised that X hasn't jumped on this thread, we all know how much he likes her... ;)

Apr 9, 2012
My DD love Chelsea Thomas and has been fortunate to spend time and take instruction from her. Shes a doll with the kids and a beast with her opponents.

She is the only ace in a world that is finally converting to having a bullpen. She is having the Traina issues-conflict with wanting to compete and help her team win but not having a true #2 puts her in more difficult situations-making difficult decisions.

The way I see it is how I would feel. She is a senior and in this game to win. She will sacrifice everything to help her team. Pain, injury, fatigue, stress-as a leader and a champion she takes on all challenges head on and will never quit. Theyll drag her off that field before she steps down regardless of her "condition".

So I agree with overuse BUT I understand how Miss Thomas feels as a leader and a competitor.

Oct 14, 2008
A pretty good example of over use at the college level. The pitcher for university of Illinois Chicago is a nice pitcher but they rode her all season long like she was sea biscuit. She threw over 250 innings thru the season. They Won the Conference. Earned the right to host the Horizon League Tournament. Was number 1 seed. They were if im not mistaken the First team eliminated. The kid just ran out of gas.

Not the most memorable way for a senior to go out. I blame the coach. There are games when you are either ahead or playing sub par opponents. Give your work horse a rest.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree, Bouldersdad. I know a HS, that did the same thing. They would be beating "Podunk HS, by 12 runs and still keep throwing the ace."

I read somewhere recently, that baseball had to be forced to comply to "pitch counts." Apparently, softball will have to be made to, also. There are good threads on this site, explaining that pitching underhand is NOT a natural motion. Maybe I will search for it and bring it back up. It is by Ken.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I don't understand how they can go to pitching 4 games in TB and yet can't pitch a double header.

Because travel coaches don't want to understand that by pitching 4-6 games in a weekend in TB year after year they were doing long term damage (or they understand but the $20 trophy is too big a draw for some reason). Eventually any repetitive motion is going to cause issues over time.

Amy is right - some version of pitch count/innings pitched/games pitched/required rest is going to end up being something that ends up being a rule that is enforced.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
These issues are why I have three pitchers that simply rotate...And I'm looking for a fourth, I have three "aces" at least that's what I tell them. They all get equal time unless she's just having a worlds worst day kind of outing...then she'll get pulled.

Dec 20, 2012
I don't understand how they can go to pitching 4 games in TB and yet can't pitch a double header.

She wasn't injured it was fatigue plus planning for the future.

For the most, not all, TB games are timed and do not go much morethan 1:15 or so. Depending on the competition you may only get 3-5 innings per game. And depending on what part of the country you are in you may only play 2 or 3 other really good teams in your area. Playing teams that are not as competitive your at bats go longer, eat up lots of time, and your pitch count stays pretty low. So in 4 games you may only throw as few as 10-12 innings with pretty low pitch counts. Not saying that is lite work but 2 really competitve TB games is equal to 1 college game(more or less).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd